Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - demikiss/Obren, 3D Character modeler

Hello guys.. I'm new here.. I'm Obren paragas from the Philippines. I'm new to this career and hope you could critique my online portfolio.. here's the link..http://demikiss.co.nr/

Thanks..:)

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ok, hope you don't mind but I'm just going to spill my brain as I see this for the first time:

oh god loading whats going on. oh here's the main page. comments and stuff? okay. demoreel is up already, that's neat I suppose.

wow, the models are spinning way too fast for me to be able to see them, but they look pretty good from what I can tell. let me find the gallery.

I click portfolio and I don't see any work. I need to press more buttons. OK.
    There's a lot of different catagories here for what amounts to be similar looking work. The thumbnails don't work? oh, I have to press this small ass 5px by 5px button in order to see them.

pixel art, 2d animations, 3d models, graphic arts - what does this person want to do? there's a smad of everything but nothing is super focused.

what you have there is very mixed - if this is a portfolio site I would recommend finding a stronger focus and catering more of your hosted work towards showing that off. get better functioning thumbnails or don't use them at all, start your page with 3d art all up in my face if that's what you're trying to get a job in. It's difficult navigating and I can't even zoom in on your photos.

The goal of a portfolio site is to land a job (at least that's what I'm assuming you're trying to do with it), so it should be as straightforward as possible, and idiot proof. here's two good examples: http://artbyvahl.com/ and http://adambromell.com/

I hope some of that helped.
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    My biggest issue is that it took way too long to load the main page. Aside from that the comments section was weird and I doubt any potential employers care what random people have to say about your work.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    too many buttons, VERY SPECIFIC buttons
    i should be able to click a thumbnail, not a button inside that thumbnail
    those turntables are an instant detraction
    they are WAY too fast and hurt you more than anything
    don't worry about making your site look cool
    you're not applying for a flash web development position, so don't worry about it
    focus on making good art, and make it visible
    everything is too small
    you can't afford to hide behind small images and black backgrounds
    simplify everything to the core of a very very very very simple gallery with big images and lots of angles and some breakdowns
    don't worry. my folio was really really really bad for navigating and viewing work in the beginning. still not there 100%, but don't stress about it.

you are striving to be an amazing author. what matters is the words on the page. not the cover. not the paper it is printed on.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I have script blocker on my Firefox to prevent shit I don't want running from going unchecked. Your site has 3 that pops up. A portfolio site should have none.

I didn't even get to your art.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    those turntables are spinning way too fast
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    Less buttons the better. People want to see work, not deal with a maze
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    It looks like you put some work and thought into making it look cool, and so it kinda sucks to see so many comments about how bad it is.

But, really, they're only being truthful and I'll have to agree.

First, on Opera - the only thing that loaded was your background image and the thing off to the right about the free domain name. It didn't even load your reel or the comments, or any of the navigational buttons along the top. It took 3 attempts to load it - each one loading a different portion of the page, for me to get the site as it was supposed to look. FireFox only took 2 tries.

Once I finally got it loaded with all the buttons (it took me almost 3 solid minutes to even load it properly and figure out that part of it wasn't loading, causing me to not be able to find anything) - I was presented with a link to your portfolio, that linked me to more links, that linked me to sections, that finally linked me to small pictures of art of a lot of different categories - none of which were presented in a way that made it seem like your specialty.

Main things to focus on:
    • Your website loads fast, loads properly, and is easy to navigate.
    • What type of art you focus on - and the art itself, should be EASILY visible, very quickly. (Without having to go through link after link to see it.)
    • As your portfolio, don't sell yourself out to be an "anything" type of artist. Pick a specialty, sell it with good art of that type primarily.
    • People don't typically want to be presented with comments from random people before they're presented with art. Really, they probably don't want to be presented with the random comments at all.

Clean it up - simplify it 5 times over so that people visiting can find what they want to find.

Good luck with it.
  • Demikiss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments.. I really learned a lot from you guys.. I'll make a separate site for my 3D works. Thanks again..
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    yep, too complicated.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Check out this one. Folks dont care if you can do motion graphics(i learnt this recently)
    This guys an artist at bioware. i believe he created the page and made it downloadable after seeing too many overly complex portfolios. All thats on the page is his art. nothing at all else.

http://www.isaacoster.com/

the template is available on the site.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Oh, bit of a intrusive UI... Flash websites do that! :( I'd go for a plain HTML website rly, and remove that comment section, that's useless and only adds to the clutter of the page.

it seems there's more attention to the flash design, and other stuff than the content itself, which is a shame cos it's not bad at all.

keep up
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    You say you want to be a 3D character modeler, yet your character models are but a foot note to all of your other work. Ditch all of the other work (pixel, animations, etc, except MAYBE a few if you really don't have anything else), and get a lot more character models out that are of your best quality.