Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP on dusty DomWarIV Character

Hey guys. Taking a quick break from the low poly challenge to work on an overhaul of a stalker character I had attempted to make for Dominance War IV.

nmkto0.jpg

I've got a body mesh almost done which I'll post after I get some food. I do have a head sculpt that I would really like to get some critique on.

314cfib.jpg

What do you guys think?

Replies

• KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I don't think the red tattoo is working out well in your concept. I think it either the design or color should be changed. There seem to be some similar marks on the rest of the limbs, but they aren't like the tattoos that appear on her face and torso. I'd stick with one type of tattoo or the other.

Your sculpt is coming along pretty well so far. Watch the brow ridge though.

You should probably make the nose a little more shallow against the face like in your concept. Right now it's kinda protruding and isn't really matching up with the concept. Depends on if you want to go strictly by your concept or if you're using the concept as a way to start your design. :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Agreed, the tattoo doesnt look good in the CONCEPT. Try imagining it on some sort of warrior native person and then it seems interesting, especially if done right.
  • BadGeometry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's how the body looks so far. Hands need some adjustment since they look flat.

2f084rp.jpg

Shad0wForce
    The brow ridge is a bit on the strong side. In the past I never really defined it and this time around it seems I've defined it a bit too much! Thanks for pointing that out, I totally would have missed that.

I do wanna stick to the concept, but I'm giving myself some wiggle room to be sure.
    I've been having trouble with the nose since I can't find a clear profile image of the actress her face is based on. I will push it in a put, and probably flatten the bridge a little too.

Shad0wForce and frell
    Yeah, a did cut a few corners on the tattoo aspect of the concept. Didn't flesh it out as well as I should have, but I'm not too worried about it yet since I'm still in the modeling phase, but I'll fix it sometime this weekend. I do know that I want something with a similar look to what this girl's got going on her sword.

http://www.sega-club.com/archiv2/dreamcast/maken_x_f.jpg
  • BadGeometry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time.
    35k76ll.jpg

uock2.jpg

I softened up the sternomastoid and as well as the outside portion of her brow. Though I think I ironed that one out too thorougly. Also made her cheeks a bit more gaunt and pushed in the nose some.

Ignore the head on the body mesh as that's only there for purposes of scale. So far I'm happy with how her equipment looks. I think I might need to change the straps that hold her pauldrons 'cause I don't think they make much sense being horizontal. She also needs some straps holding her visor to her head.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be bringing the body into Zbrush tomorrow so I can get crackin' on that sculpt.
  • BadGeometry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress
    974sus.jpg

Butt still needs work. So do the hands, but aside from that, so far so good. Gonna start working on some of the high-res cages for the armor and gun (which needs to be modeled outright as well).

Edit: Fixed link
    Edit2: Fixed link for real. Old image can be seen here for comparison. Dunno why Tinypic is giving my a hard time with these links.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    her lower body is a lot fatter then her upper, looks sort of strange and nonathletic, which is what the upper body looks like: fit.
  • BadGeometry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2vmwqv8.jpg

Hahaa... I am not good at hard surface modeling. I might have better luck just beveling the edges and bring it into ZBrush. I've been consulting the hard surfaces thread in the Technical board here but I think I need to re-layout the topology on it before I get started.

n88tr
    Do they look fat because they of their thickness or because they're not as toned as the rest of the body?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    It might be easier for you to sculpt the hard surfaces in Zbrush and then retopologize it.

The legs look a little out of proportion.
  • BadGeometry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2vw5oa9.jpg

Got all her armor into ZBrush and it's all creased just the way I want it. Now for the details.

LRoy:It certainly has been easier to handle them in ZBrush.
    I've tweaked the legs a bit (made them a hair shorter and thiner). How do they look now?