Home Unreal Engine

Glass Bottles

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
gannonroader polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I need to make a series of glass bottles for my level, and i'm kind of stumped on exactly how I should go about it. My plan right now it just to make a bottle out of a cylinder, but I was hoping for the steps after that. How should I approach making the material? And would it be easy to make them breakable? This is just a portfolio level at the moment, but I would like to learn some stuff as well so i'm not worried about doing a little bit of work on this.

Replies

• 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Try googling it if you haven't already. I think I remember coming across something on this topic while I was looking for how to do a plastic bottle. Also try Epic's UDK forums. Sorry, wish I had a more direct answer. :/
  • gannonroader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh no problem. Any answer is a good answer, I just want to work on this today.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    If I were you I would model the outside of the glass bottle and then create a transparent material. I would then plug a fresnel node the dirstortion input for your material. Multipy the fresnel if the effect isn't powerful enough.

Oh, and for glass you want a tight highlight, so be sure to plug a value of 1 into specular and a value of about 100 into specular power.
  • gannonroader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so I don't need to do the inside of the bottle? And should I start with a base texture? I've never really made a material besides your normal 'diffuse, spec, spec power, normal.'