Home General Discussion

Multiple threads vs. One thread

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
Hey everyone! So I was wondering what everyones take on this subject was. What do you think is better, and why? please vote and elaborate why you like to create multiple threads for your art work vs. creating one thread with all your are work.

I like multiple threads for several reasons
- I like that you can create a new title for interest of what you are working on

- The focus of seeing ones work flow of one object is nice through a couple of pages, I don't have to look through pages upon pages trying to look in between other pieces of work one has done in the past.

- The idea that if I want to see more of someones work, All I have to do is hopefully click on their website or blog to see all their past work and assume that their latest thread is how they get things done.

- I believe that the latest thread someone has created will pretty much tell you everything you need to know about the person

These are a couple ideas of where I stand.... I can also see the advantages of posting just One thread.. but I would really like to hear what Others have to think about this...

Replies

• adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    One thread because if you spam our forums I'll change your avatar to a pair of testicles.

Thread over. :)
  • Moosey_G
    One thread is just fine for easy organization and the ability to look at someone's current and past work in one central location. It also allows more room for other topics. But can't people just create a sketchbook thread? It can be used for more than just sketches.

Also, I'd rather not have my avatar turned into a pair of balls.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I like it when people keep 1 project to a thread, if you are doing a bunch of assets from random concept art for practice, 1 thread.

If you are doing something for a mod team for the UDK and doing your own fantasy game for the iphone, do a thread for each.

Just my opinion.
  • JonathanF
  • Taylor Hood
    One thread is fine for one specific peice of artistry but if you want to update us on the work you're doing then try and create a Sketchbook.
    It's a wonderful invention =]
  • JonathanF
    Offline / Send Message
    adam - lol, well I mean like a new thread should take as long as however ones piece takes for that person... so hopefully no spamming.

zacD - sounds like your talking about project works... yeah for sure one thread for that kind of stuff... I'm just talking about the pimping and previewing creating random pieces of work over a long period of time. It just seems simple to view different pieces in multiple threads. Im pretty sure I have seen peoples threads that have like 30-40+ pages and to me it just seems like a pain to look through all those pages trying to find their post of progression.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    one thread per project
  • JonathanF
    Offline / Send Message
    OK PEOPLE!!! I'm seeing votes! but not reasons!!
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    for smaller random works the what are you working on thread is awesome. thats probably the thread I check out the most.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ..just do it the way everyone else does it. It's not rocket science!
    what is there to debate?
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    adam wrote: »
    One thread because if you spam our forums I'll change your avatar to a pair of testicles.

Thread over. :)

somehow i get the feeling you saw that "how to make testicles in max" guide and you´re looking for the right oportunity to show off your creation !

damn, cant find the link to it

one project per thread. i guess it would be too chaotic if you would dump all your work into one with all the comments and paintovers.

edit : i think i clicked the wrong vote =( i hope 5.30am is a perfectly fine excuse for that mishap
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    reasons ? you want reasons ?
    heres one.. "because we say so.."
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »

That sounds more like an incentive to me :P

And subjects should remain in one single thread, that way people to need to restate anything that they had already covered in a previous thread. And, like Adam referenced, it clutters up the forums to have multiple threads on the same subject.
  • Mark Dygert
    If you're going to art dump. One thread.
    Reason: You're finished with the art and just need people to blow smoke up your ass and make you feel good. One thread works well for that.

If you're going to post projects as you work, give the project its own thread.
    Reason: You're not done and it gets confusing to trying to talk about multiple things in different projects. It also makes it harder to find specific things if you have a really long running thread that covers a bunch of stuff.
  • bbob
    +1 on vig's point..

Thought it was pretty straight forward O.o