Home Technical Talk

Max: drawing primitives in screen space

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
Is their a way to draw out primitives based on the direction the user is viewing in Max? By default they're all created on the grid, but theirs got to be some sort of user-view-grid or something to that effect right? I've at least seen it done once before in Maya (though without explanation as to how).

Replies

• jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    You probably already know about this, but in case you dont....

Did you try Auto- Grid?

It wont draw out in space but it will draw on any surface. So if you have any existing geometry you can create objects relative to it.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Actually, I didn't know about that (must have gained selective vision after using max all these years). It's a little different then what I was looking for but should be able to do the job, thanks. :)
  • Mark Dygert
    You can also turn on grid snap and draw on the grid. Which will also snap to the vertical grid when you drag out shapes in the pers viewport.

You can also create helper grid objects and position those grids anywhere in the scene, even rotated or aligned any way you like. You can only have one grid object active at a time by selecting it and right clicking, choose activate grid.

These are helpful when working on a vertical wall section or on an angled ceiling panel or roof.
    3dsmaxGridObject.jpg