Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TF2 Fake Mod Video - Super Fort Fighters

Before you read this thread, please be sure about the following terms:
- This Presentation shows progress for a fake Video of Team Fortress 2 containing all kind of characters, maps and objects from Team Fortress 2.
- This Video doesn't use any Real-Time-Engine. It also contains elements which needs a lot of Rendertime!
- I'm using a combination of Maya, After Effects (and some Plug-Ins), Photoshop and Motionbuilder for this project.
-Please be constructive, I won't have time to learn how to make such a mod. But I'm investing my current time to make this video. If you're interessted to help me on this project, you sure are welcome for it : P.

Short summary: I want to make a TF2 Fake-Video is about a Mod, containing all classes from Team Fortress 2 as Street Fighter. Every class has his own specific fight style with normal moves, special moves and a specific Finish Move, which can be used under different circumstances within the fight.
This video just shows a fake match between the red sniper and the blue spy on Egypt. The Sniper uses more Allrounder Moves (like Ryu in Street Fighter) while the spy uses more agile techniques (like Bison from Street Fighter). Every character fight bare handed but also uses some of his equipments when he makes special moves (for e.g. the sniper uses his bow for ranged attacks or blocks with his Razorback). The Special Move is an instant killing move with the typical kill-technique of a character. The Spy backstabs someone in the back in his FM while the sniper uses his Van to drive to the next higher place to headshot his enemy.

Everything I show in this thread is "Work in Progress" Material, which means that not everything you see will be the final result in this video. But I'm always welcome for some critique ^^

First of, I'm going to make some scenes within this fake game and outside of it. That means I'm also going to make menues and Loading Screens. This is a rendering animation I made for one expample for the Loading Screen. There wasn't any compositing on it yet, but there will be a loading screen Icon and a hint text as well on this scene. Something like "If your enemy gets too close, throw him away" or whatever.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFdP65fu0g[/ame]

Here are some basic moves I made for the sniper. I also tried to find good combies within the animation he makes.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXa4OLEaqCE[/ame]

A scene from the Sniper Special-Move. His Special Move is called "A-Van-Jar-Shot!" where he throw jarate on his enemy, drives away with his van and headshots him from a distant point.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m8nqdGT-88[/ame]

The Spy Finish Move is a typical Backstab by cloack and decloack behind his enemy to backstab him. While doing that he holds his mouth with his other hand and whispers a "Sssshhhh" in the enemies ear while he suffers and fades away.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLuOAzkRVyc[/ame]

A Rendered Scene of the Van, which appears when the sniper does his Finish Moves.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Vp_GWmYJg[/ame]
I'm open for every critique and help : P

Have Fun!

Ryu Ookami

Replies

• James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, about to go to bed so cant do a massive crit right now but at a glance:

in the loading screen video: Where does all the heavy's weight go after he's thrown? he's comes to such a sudden stop that it makes me think you were trying really hard to keep him in the shot, why bother? Either toss him out of the frame or change the arc of the throw.

Also in loading screen: The physics of the scout getting back up at the end don't gel, he just seems to will himself upright.

Sniper street fighter stuff: I like the idea of mimicking that style of old school fighting game. The idle has a strange pattern to it, with your idles try really hard not to let the viewers eye settle on anything. If they can tell it's a cycle, it won't look like a natural idle.

Headshot vid: Effects are cool, it's a little hard to read what the spy is doing when he looks up at the sniper, might want to revise that a bit.

Not got too much to say about the others, except that the camera feels kind of floaty in the 'grab from behind' video.

All in all some promising stuff, especially the loading screen. it feels like you've gotten a lot of the poses right, but the physics of it aren't believable (and by that I also include cartoon-believable). Keep it up! :thumbup:
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    First vid looks like mirrors edge loading screen (normally has no sound)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsEWMMmfruo[/ame]
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ frell

I guess it's no secret that this loading screen was one of my references : P

@ James9475

As I said, not everything you see is final ^^. The Sniper Finish Move is the "A-Van-Jar-Shot!" where he throws a jar against his enemy und drives up a higher place to headshot him. The Spy is disgused by his siut which distracts him from beeing sniped. I didn't finish compositing, so you don't see the jarate on him.

Here is a test-soundtrack for the Super Fort Fighter Video. It's just a testing how to medley the tracks of Team Fortress 2 in one song:
    http://soundcloud.com/ryu-ookami/testmix-tf2
    (Contains Playing with Danger, Spy-Theme, Medic-Taunt-Theme, Domination/Revenge-Theme etc. )
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez3ep_dhYnk[/ame]

This will be the loading Icon for the SFF Video in the loading screen. Done with Particle Illusion.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like the animated icon
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBXmXyOZQYs[/ame]

An animatic Scene before the sniper headshots his victim.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you make moves for each character, like with Sniper...
    Perhaps someone with skills in other areas would pick up on this idea.

I will however admit that I would like it better if everyone had their default melee weapons instead rather than using their fists... It would be a very neat reference to the melee battles in TF2 :O
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    If you make moves for each character, like with Sniper...
    Perhaps someone with skills in other areas would pick up on this idea.

I will however admit that I would like it better if everyone had their default melee weapons instead rather than using their fists... It would be a very neat reference to the melee battles in TF2 :O
    Someone with skills ? : P So you wanne say that my stuff is unskilled XD ?

My direct reference is still Street Fighter, where all characters are fighting in different combat styles instad of using character based weapons in their normal moves like in Soul Calibur.

But that doesn't mean that you can't use the class based weapon. It's more the opposite situation: Nearly all items will be available in the special moves and in the finish move. For e.g. the spy combat style is based on the snake-techniques in Kong Fu but with his own personal elements. For e.g. if you crouch, the spy turns his snake pose into a spycrab like pose to fight. The Spy is a teasing character, who is makes quick and agile movements and tries to be untouchable.
    (Gen and Bison from Street Fighter)

On the other side, the heavy has more wrester based attacks, using slow but powerfull punches and throws. He can take damage more easily, but he also can besiege someone. (Zangief, Birdie from Street Fighter)

The Scout uses a mix between capoera and kick-boxing. He's faster than the spy, but he has to be on the move all the time, otherwise he will be an easy target. His techniques are based on his motion and his throws and Finish Move are based on centrifugal forces and gravity. (Guy, El Fuerte and Dee Jay from Street Fighter)

The Sniper and the pyro will have simliar techniques based on the Street Fighter "Ansatsuken" which is usually known as ryus and kens. So both are kinda allround-fighter. The main factor what makes the difference between those too are the special-movements. While the pyro spreads his attacks like his flamethrower for e.g. The Snipe uses smaller but more accurate attacks like his bow. (Ryu/Ken from Street Fighter)

The Demoman uses more techniques to controll the position of the enemy in the battlefield. He can blast them away from him, but he can also use techniques to get back on close combat (using charging targe and the eyelander for e.g).

The Soldier is specialized in the combative fight stlye from military education. He faces his enemy man to man, using close combat techniques mostly except a few moves. If he gets close to you, he can be very dangerous. The best way is to keep him on distance. (Rolento, Balrog, Dudley from Street Fighter)

The Medic is specialized in counter-techniques, using the right counter-attack at the right time to reverse the attacks without taking damage. He also can use techniques to restrain his opponents. He may not be a good normal-movement based fighter, but his special moves are quite fearsome. (Karin, Gouken from Street Fighter)

The Engineer has the most unique fighting style, because he uses his buildings to most of his special-attacks. He can build stuff within one second in his movements, but just for one attack. For e.g. he can erect a dispencer under the feet of his opponent to pitchfork his enemy to the ski or he can use his teleport to teleport quickly. The biggest problem when you fight an engi is that you never know what he's up to next but he is a very defensive player.
    I'm very determind about the movements and the finish move of every character. : P Everyone has his personal flavor about what he prefers and not. So if you prefer to have it in another way, you have to do it by yourself XD.
    My focus here in this thread is to show you the progress of this project and to have feedback in the animation, the design and look of it. ^^'
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryu Ookami wrote: »
    Someone with skills ? : P So you wanne say that my stuff is unskilled XD ?

I'm very determind about the movements and the finish move of every character. : P Everyone has his personal flavor about what he prefers and not. So if you prefer to have it in another way, you have to do it by yourself XD.'

Firstly, not at all xP
    I meant someone with skills in areas such as coding and things.
    I imagine that even though you're great at creating animations, you lack the coding skills to make a game out of them... right :O?

Also... darn >:
    Cool project, but like I said... I'd like it better if it was more of a parody on the melee fights in TF2 as well as a parody on fightings games such as Street Fighter or Soul Calibur.