Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

a folding table

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Hoopla! polygon
hello, just did this up real quick to ad to my portfolio. let me know what you think. took about a days worth of work, in total.

its the first project on my little portfolio www.christianshank.carbonmade.com

cnc welcome as always.

applying for an internship with thq this week, wish me luck.

Replies

• d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    From your portfolio, I can't get a good judge of you or your art level. I think you are going to need a lot more work, at higher qualities (tables and chairs aren't good examples of what an artist can/is capable of making).
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    not sure what you mean. the table had a very specific reason for going in there (probably going to be the type of thing id be making)

what it sounds like your saying (correct me if im wrong) is that i need to make really great art for someone to be able to tell if im a really great artist? lol, this is either really obvious or kinda strange and im not sure which one. im not a great artist, and the things in my portfolio were the best i could do at the time, im probably better now then i was back then, but i needed to be able to show something and thats pretty much what i did... you know what i mean? anyway thanks for the input. i will let you guys know how it goes.
  • Dis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dis
    The wood texture on your table looks good imo, but the legs look flat. It's basically just a brown color and a flat spec. No need to scratch it up like mad or anything but try to make it look more like painted metal (that goes for both the diffuse and specular map).

On the top and bottom of the table, you have some unnecessary geometry, get rid of the square in the middle like this:
    tablepo.jpg

I also think it might be a good idea to show things like tris count, texture size and texture flats on your portfolio if you're going to be looking for work with it.
    Also, keep up the good work :). Nothing wrong with making tables and other simple things as long as you're learning and trying new things.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    thanks dis, good points all around, the brown color for the legs is {as you said} just a flat color really and i have no spec map for this yet.

thanks again.