• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    normally I just do:

hidden line removal
    print screen
    adjust in photoshop so its just black and white
    do a clay render of the same angle (normally just render region)
    print screen
    set the wires to multiply, crop and your done.
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    looks great! Very clean work
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You really should add double the segments to the round bits on the scope, the jagged silhouette really drags it down in 1st person.

Also on second thought, the surface on the scope looks a bit dull at this point, perhaps try giving it a few subtle splashes of rainbow in the specular to give it a bit of oomph.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Orb!

ZacD: Well that's what I do too, but I've created a glorious plastic looking material in marmoset and I'm too mental ray retarded to replicate it in XSI. I want to have a wireframe over the normal mapped object, and I get sketchy results with the shaders I've tried and XSI's native openGL normal mapped texture is hideous. I think I just need to do more research into decent shaders with normal map support for XSI.

I'm using a really old version of XSI (4.2) also, so that's probably why the native stuff is so ugly (like, the darkest value on a normal mapped object is 50% grey for example).
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely increase the segments of all the round scope mount bits. They stick out really badly.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Alright, sound pretty unanimous, I need to redo that scope :D
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Alright, I increased the polygon density on the scope bits and now it looks a trillion times better. It is now 6325 tris.

texwip7.jpg
    texwip8.jpg
    vintfps3.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty awesome now. Nice to see properly done weapon models/textures; they're rare since so many people treat hard surface stuff like it doesn't matter (especially guns)
  • polozad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polozad polycounter lvl 9
    PatJS wrote: »
    this is a very wierd gun made by the Russians; it's a sniper adaptation of the AS VAL. The sights are in fact welded to the supressor.
    [/URL]

Lol. It's not weird, it's just been designed for close (~200 meters) city combat, with no burst and sound. It uses subsonic cartriges (SP5/SP6) and included supressor. And it's not AS adaptation, these two weapons were designed as weapons complex, AS for CQC/assault and VSS for marksman (in Russia term "sniper" have a bit different meaning, most likely as "marksman" in US). It's rare weapon with very expensive cartriges, so it not too distributed even in Russia. And quality is not perfect, sad but true, look at that seems on iron sights.
    Great modelling, by the way.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    thanks guys!

I didn't mean wierd in a derisive way; it just seemed to fill an interesting role and is honestly a pretty strange looking weapon, with an odd mix-mash of materials and shapes (c.f. every european gun made since 1990: metal and composite, looks like a spaceship). Personally, I think it looks cooler than most weapons.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great. Wood is too bright and saturated for me but that's just a personal thing.

Actually did a search and it seems like they all have much darker wood. Maybe worth a try to change it and see how it looks.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay for russians, making glorious things of spit, twine and the blood of dissenters! :D
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    I toned down the stock a bit, I think it has less of an incandescent orange to it.

I've found some pretty dark stocks online too, but most of these have terrible lighting with flash photography for extra crap contrast. This is a pretty decent (though under-lit) outdoor photo, which shows a surprising amount of saturation.

http://data3.primeportal.net/armory/roman_stepanov/vss_sniper_rifle/images/vss_sniper_rifle_6_of_9.jpg

texwip9.jpg

I'm not really sure if I like this or not, but I'll keep playing with it.
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the wood, is very well done, but I liked it better in one of your first versions without the finish, Id say its too saturated atm, and for the rest of the gun some parts look more authentic than others. Like the front of the gun looks real nice. I think maybe it might look good with a bit more reflection and spec in some areas to get the metal just right...