Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: TLishman

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
TLishman polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, im Tom, Concept Artist, 3D, etc

You can check out my work at http://tlishman.darkfolio.com

Ive decided to do a fairly large animation/game project. This sketchbook is here to document and show my progress for this and any future projects.

Project RTAU:

• Final result to be either presented as an animated short or playable within a game engine (UDK)
  • Medium Poly characters suited to both full animation and game use.
  • Represent emotion through body language instead of facial expressions (due to the character design)

The first phase for me will be both the concept art and the main character modelling. I will post updates as often as i can.

Here are a few concepts along with the model sheet for the main character (RTAU), tribal enemy design, environment and wildlife.
Armur.jpg?t=1278819204
modelsheetsmallrtau.jpg?t=1278819155
Roak.jpg?t=1278819121

testtest.jpg?t=1278819043

Replies

• TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few idea sketches for his drop pod/ship. Bottom cylinder opens out to drop the unit and he has detatchable landing thrusters to slow his decend once he is free from the pod.
    ideasship.jpg?t=1278888021
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Looking awesome. The human-esque concept immediately reminded me of the Geth from Mass Effect, but more robotic. I like.
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk - Hah, yeah i love Mass Effect, a big influence. Cheers!

Here is a small update with the ship. Started modelling a basic version, its only 638 Polys so far.

shipwip.jpg?t=1278967544
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, been a bit lazy. But started on one of the characters in zbrush. Will post more updates soon.
    ss-1920x1080.jpg?t=1279403637dl.php?key=32acbeddeb957464250e6345079a8d57&id=741237dl.php?key=32acbeddeb957464250e6345079a8d57&id=741237
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ss-601x411.jpg?t=1280271435

Here is my latest progress with the main character. Im going to re-do the rhino creature later on.
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lowpolypreview.jpg

Re-topo in 3dsmax finished. Next step is uv unwrapping.
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    testest.jpg

Next stop-- texturing!
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rtautexprg.jpg

Small update on the texture.

Im going for a more army based theme compared to the original concept.
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished, here is a quick overview of my process.

process.jpg
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next character.

Dr. Alfred Miller.

Crazy scientist.

Will be zbrushing soon.

alfredmiller.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I'd advise going a different route if you're serious about doing a 'crazy scientist'. I mean, he's basically doctor evil with goggles on. Try playing with the character more, as well as the facial proportions. Not all scientists are short, myopic small-chinned gentlemen.

What if you did a real lantern-jawed scientist? What if instead of a cackling/maniacal crazy he was more of a collects pens, smells funny and one day unexpectedly is going to blow up half the city crazy? What if he was like Milton from Office Space?

Also, why a facial scar? Is he a maniacal field biologist? That could actually be pretty interesting.. But if you want to stick with a laboratory scientist with visible facial trauma then it would make more sense to have something like acid burns (though steel yourself if you're going to get ref for anything like that-- there's some pretty brutal stuff).

A final note is that very few people are truly bald-- most end up just shaving what's left, but that has to be maintained and some kind of hairline is usually visible; what you have there is a perfectly hairless pate and facial stubble. If you want to stick with bald I'd either give him a hairline or go all the way-- have him lose all his hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, facial hair-- all of it.

Whatever you decide I hope it turns out well.
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake wrote: »
    I'd advise going a different route if you're serious about doing a 'crazy scientist'. I mean, he's basically doctor evil with goggles on. Try playing with the character more, as well as the facial proportions. Not all scientists are short, myopic small-chinned gentlemen.

What if you did a real lantern-jawed scientist? What if instead of a cackling/maniacal crazy he was more of a collects pens, smells funny and one day unexpectedly is going to blow up half the city crazy? What if he was like Milton from Office Space?

Also, why a facial scar? Is he a maniacal field biologist? That could actually be pretty interesting.. But if you want to stick with a laboratory scientist with visible facial trauma then it would make more sense to have something like acid burns (though steel yourself if you're going to get ref for anything like that-- there's some pretty brutal stuff).

A final note is that very few people are truly bald-- most end up just shaving what's left, but that has to be maintained and some kind of hairline is usually visible; what you have there is a perfectly hairless pate and facial stubble. If you want to stick with bald I'd either give him a hairline or go all the way-- have him lose all his hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, facial hair-- all of it.

Whatever you decide I hope it turns out well.

Thanks for your opinion, this project is feeling a bit onesided due to the lack of comments xD.

Anywho, yeah i suppose i made him a bit too stereotypical, also i havn't actually covered the full story. This is one of the high security prisoners on a downed prison ship over a desert planet. This guy rallys up the survivors and will hold the remaining guards hostage to ward of any attacks from the UF forces. Im aiming for a joker-style villain. I'll do a full body concept to show his body type.

Also nice idea with the acid burns though, i'll play around with it.
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Re-designed the scientist, zbrushed him up.
    headtest.jpg
  • TLishman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Current props modelled for the game.

ss943x794.jpg