Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

how do you model heads?

huw
huw
(Reached a comprimise, got a friend to design characters for free! But I still gotta model them.)

How do you go about modelling people's heads? I'm really stuck. I've been using reference images, and I match it up, but it looks really weird even though it's matched up to the dimensions of the reference, even worse when put in perspective mode. I measure, tweak, remeasure, get it as accurate as possible yet every time the entire thing looks incredibly deformed.

How do you do model heads?

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a character artist, and not fantastic at modeling heads either, but I know my skills in head modeling went from 'oh dear' to 'hmmm, that's actually not bad' after I followed this:

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.php

I just went over it like 3 or 4 times, it's kinda tedious after the first time but just getting the workflow down should help get the techniques cemented.

After you've done it once or twice, try it with your own reference images of different heads, either drawn or photo and use the same technique.
  • DinkyDogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my mate showed me this video on youtube, which i found very helpful in modelling a head so hope it helps you:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xls25e08sSg[/ame]
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Skull in no way defines the final silhouette of the face. It's the muscles and sking that make it look the way it is. Look for another refence.
    Good luck!
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found sculpting them helped me a lot. Doing them in Z-Brush instead of Maya so you can quickly do rough heads and make quick adjustments.

I found that playing around with a sculpted head helped too, so making some parts really stretched etc to see how and why they look wrong.

Get a mirror and look at your own face, feel your jaw with your hand and see how it gets thinner as you get closer too the chin (not on square jaw characters but you get the idea).

It's sometimes hard to model off image planes like that because you don't get the full picture without the plan view too.

But yea best advice I have had is keep it simple, get the proportions looking right etc at low poly then start adding edge loops and shaping it more.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    d1ver wrote: »
    Skull in no way defines the final silhouette of the face. It's the muscles and sking that make it look the way it is. Look for another refence.
    Good luck!

I was wondering the same thing...This guy created the entire head model out of a skull in XSI and the only question I was left with was. "how the hell do you know what you are doing by just looking at the skull? Without the ref image?"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHQFfiRjp8Y[/ame]
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Good luck!

To expand upon this...

Think about what the skull is - a framework upon which muscles and other fleshy bits work with each other to define the character of the face. (I know some medical students and other people would haggle me to no end for what I just said, but whatever) Because the skull is just the underlying structure, it's not as useful a modeling reference as a fully-formed human head with all its muscles and skin and such.

As for Nitewalkr's question, there's actually a reasonable answer. If you're familiar enough with the structure and layout of the muscles and skin and other properties of the face, you can extrapolate from a skull what a person might look like.

But modeling heads? Well, there are a ton of different techniques. My favorite is to do a high-poly rough model and then retopologize it with good geometry and logical edgeloop placement. Box modeling heads is a little more complex, but it's still a good idea to start with a rough shape and then work to more specific details. creationtwentytwo linked to a good starter tutorial for people who've never modeled characters before.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hes using c4d! ^^
    What a horrible way to model a head.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Swizzle wrote: »
    To expand upon this...

Think about what the skull is - a framework upon which muscles and other fleshy bits work with each other to define the character of the face. (I know some medical students and other people would haggle me to no end for what I just said, but whatever) Because the skull is just the underlying structure, it's not as useful a modeling reference as a fully-formed human head with all its muscles and skin and such.

As for Nitewalkr's question, there's actually a reasonable answer. If you're familiar enough with the structure and layout of the muscles and skin and other properties of the face, you can extrapolate from a skull what a person might look like.

But modeling heads? Well, there are a ton of different techniques. My favorite is to do a high-poly rough model and then retopologize it with good geometry and logical edgeloop placement. Box modeling heads is a little more complex, but it's still a good idea to start with a rough shape and then work to more specific details. creationtwentytwo linked to a good starter tutorial for people who've never modeled characters before.

Edge modeling all the way, following the ref image, for me. Espacially when it comes to the Head and face modeling.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    The easy way if you can't work very well with polygons is to sculpt, then retopo, but it can take more time.

I usually start from a subdivided cube (subdiv sphere), i do bevels, cuts, and more bevels. Bevels are uber powerful!!. And Working with subdivs, always in "stages" of detail.

Stage 0 - defining volumes and loops with a very very low poly subdiv model
    Stage 1 - Subdivide x1 and improve shapes.

Here's an example that i'm sure will help. Notice how simple are the hands.

The model on the right is the one on the left subdivided x1. Subdivs are tricky, and if you understand the technique, it can save you a lot of time.

workflow_003.jpg

Not all the people have the same skull, the best is to grab references and train our eye, our perception. Furthermore, in a skull you won't see the facial loops...
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    @Blaizer: that's one nifty model, is that yours?

Now, I really don't know how people find sculpt+retopology to take more time than go edge modeling from the start. You don't have to have a finished sculpt, just get the proportions right, it shouldn't take more then 30~60 minutes, then you retopologize it in your software of choice, wich should be very quick cause the hard part is already done.
  • huw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huw
    Thankyou for your advice. So skulls alone are bad, image planes not great, reference photos good, edgeloops still loved by all!

Actually I've always fancied the idea of 3D sculpting and would love to make more use of it, but in my experience sculpting is harder and takes a lot longer:

I have to get it right first time, there's no easy way to make big changes to a sculpture if I suddenly realise a mistake made earlier on.

Have to go up to a really high level of resolution to get basic smaller details in, like an eyelid for example. And making creases and sharp corners takes forever...
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah careful I might have been mistunderstood there. Image planes are good, it's just you have to understand the image properly first, especially with limited views and organic shapes.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    huw wrote: »
    Thankyou for your advice. So skulls alone are bad, image planes not great, reference photos good, edgeloops still loved by all!

Actually I've always fancied the idea of 3D sculpting and would love to make more use of it, but in my experience sculpting is harder and takes a lot longer:

I have to get it right first time, there's no easy way to make big changes to a sculpture if I suddenly realise a mistake made earlier on.

Have to go up to a really high level of resolution to get basic smaller details in, like an eyelid for example. And making creases and sharp corners takes forever...

When sculpting, it's always best to start at the lowest subdivision level possible and work in as much detail as you can. Then, and ONLY then, should you move up a level and do the exact same thing.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    For my head i ripped a model of a head from fallout and created image planes with the renders and just did like the joan of arc tutorial. Then sculpted in basic face forms.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Sculpting is definitely good for getting non generic fast faces. You dont have to get it right first time. Just put in the rough form and then the rough features you can then go in refining, deleting and changing adjusting things as much as you want.

It beats labouriously adjusting each vertex. Sculpting is just more fun.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    It also depends on what type of final result you want, whether it be realistic or toon, but ultimately, reference pics are nice, but camera's usually distort the 3d image, so in that vein I suggest looking at Bridgeman. To block in a head first try to block in the planes of the face...once you have that, then you continue to refine by adding edgeloops to the main areas that require more definition. It takes time. The first mistake that everyone makes is to noodle in when a more broad stroke method would work better. here's some pics.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=bridgeman's%20anatomy&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Good luck!

euhm yes it does,

the shape of a skull defines a lot of the final silhouette of a face.
    when sculpting a face the first thing you should do is actually trying to get those shapes in there and then after that worry about muscles etc...