Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP (Android)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
Making this robot for a larger scene I have in mind. Not sure if its going to end up being more game art or high poly art, but its still early stages yet.

I don't have any concept for this, just doin it as I go.

capturevjk.jpg

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Surprised no one has commented, this looks really cool and clean so far. Cant wait to see it textures.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The leg joints are too generic. I like the human spine in there, try to add more boney details in there.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, FRELL. When I do texture it its going to be very plain. I'm not a character artist. This android is for a bigger scene that I'm working on. Its something of a futuristic, minimalist interior. So I don't want too much detail.

n88TR, Yeah, the leg joints are just placeholders at the moment; just a cylinder with a few extrusions. I'm actually thinking of doing away with the spine machine part and adding a more human torso.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the torso and the knees. I think I like the new torso better rather than the mechanical spine part.

capturetl.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added arms, done some more of the head and changed heaps of things. Looks like this is definately going to be for a high poly scene now. Maybe a game related one later on.

I tried to make the face female initially, but it looks more male lol. I'm not too fond of making characters...

capturefhn.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Could you post more angles? Im getting a stubby look but it might be the angle.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some more angles. I think it might be he is a bit short overall. I'll need to size him up against some image planes. I also added some more details too. Trying to see how many details I can model in before I have to start using normal/displacement maps.

capturexa.jpg

cap2vz.jpg
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the cyber feel, But he looks too short, like the bottom half is scaled down.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tried to fix up the lower half proportions a bit. Tell me if it looks better.

capturetn.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added some more detail to the chest plate and shoulder area. Also re-designed the ear piece. I think the new one's much better. Haven't gotten time to model something high poly like that for a while.

I think I'm almost done on the robot. Been itching to get away from characters and back onto enviro part of the project.

capturezd.jpg

cap2tn.jpg
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    You say you're not working from reference, but this looks incredibly similar to the older Digital Tutors android subdivision modeling series. Granted, there's some differences (the joints look slightly more complex, for instance) but the legs and torso look practically identical to the ones used in that tutorial, aside from the gender difference.

If you're using this for a portfolio piece, I'd add even more of your own ideas to it or rework parts of the design entirely because as it is, it's very obvious that this is a piece modified from a tutorial.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I googled the Digital Tutors kit you're talking about. I can see some similarities in the leg design in the way it has the indent along the outside and the cut in lines, but the top part of my legs are different.

One of the recent pics shows my torso. The DT one is very simple wheras mine is a totally different design. Even the feet. hands and pelvis have very little in common with the DT model, at least as far as I can see from images.
    as it is, it's very obvious that this is a piece modified from a tutorial.

It isn't modified from a tutorial, but if you can look at it and it instantly seems that way then I'm sure others will too. I guess I'll either finish the little I have left and work on the accompanying scene, or just drop the android if I can't find the time to make it obviously unique and do the scene by itself.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    It wasn't meant as a direct attack on you, but you're right - if it immediately looks like a modified tutorial project to me, then you can bet your ass that whoever you send this to will have seen that particular android countless times before, and it would definitely hurt your chances.

If you say you didn't follow that series to create this model, then that's cool. I guess I thought the chances of someone not following that series and ending up with such a striking resemblance to DT's result were pretty remote.

Don't trash the project - just work on the overall design a little more to definitively differentiate it from the DT version and really make it your own.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    If you dont trash this, check out some crash dummies for extra reference. Before danshewan mentioned it, I thought you were following that tutorial but putting your own twist on it :S
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It wasn't meant as a direct attack on you, but you're right - if it immediately looks like a modified tutorial project to me, then you can bet your ass that whoever you send this to will have seen that particular android countless times before, and it would definitely hurt your chances.

Yup, I know you weren't having a go at me or anything. I really do appreciate you pointing out the resemblance to the DT tutorial.

I'll keep doing updates with changes to, like you suggest, differentiate it from the DT one.
  • Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think you should trash this, but here are my thoughts,
    -Head looks really big
    - neck shoots up straight (which is odd to me) and does not look like it can support the head.
    -Do all the joints have to be the same. Can you try different joints for different movement? (ie, the upr arm is a socket, the elbow is a hinge.)
    -I would look at skeletons and see how I could mimic human anatomy, even though this is a robot.