Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Heavy Gun - Kira

currently working on my first model which i hope to put into TF2 to replace Natasha or contributor item. Name and model still WIP but would like any criticism and advice very much appreciated... And a good russian name ahah (kira means dark, or so my online translator says :P)

sexyrender.jpg Position on arm

smexyminigun1.jpg gun model

povrender.jpg POV from player

Preview of model and position on heavy arm

Replies

• tex_cookiedough
    Looking good there Dinkydogg.. would like to see some textures :)

on the topic of name:

SERAFIMA (Серафима): Feminine form of Russian Serafim, meaning "burning one" or "serpent."

courtesy of google

keep it up :D
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Call it Barret, this is the name of the guy from FF7 who also has a gunarm xD
  • DinkyDogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol cheers for the names, but im trying to keep it in the female gender of common Russian names hahah, atm trying to figure out how to get that cool wire frame render so i can get criticism on my poly wastage and such
  • DinkyDogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here they are: stats are 5.8k tris 2.86 polys
    wirebottom.jpgwireside.jpg
  • OMGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I like it already, it's just so different than the other heavy weapons. May I suggest you alter the end muzzle or whatever, as it's always the same and it would add some interest in the first person view model. As for names I like Tanya or Duscha. Duscha is sweetheart and Tanya is just an awesome name.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyborg heavy, I like it.
  • DinkyDogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @OMG: ye i wanted change the muzzle but decided to keep some things similar (shell ejector and muzzle top) since i was gonna add a back story to it. Something like the heavy asks the doctor to make him one with his love or something XD

mmm tanya seems pretty cool haha
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Why is it the smaller the cylinders / piping have like 2x more loops than the larger details? it should be the complete opposite dude, the areas with the most screen visibility should have the more geo / texture space, especially for an fps.

You also don't need any of those vertical loops on the main section since u could do all the detail as floaters and just push it slightly through the mesh, would free up heaps of room.

Just remember it's what u see that's the most important part.
  • DinkyDogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider wrote: »
    Why is it the smaller the cylinders / piping have like 2x more loops than the larger details?

anything thats got a cylindrical shape (pipe, barrel, magazine, main body) all have 18 sides. The Pipe is just more condensed together to give it a more rounder look since itll be part of the major visual in the POV
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Yer but since it's a smaller decal it doesn't need the equal amount of loops, you can take some away and it will still stay smooth when compared with the barrel etc you can see all the the cutting edges pretty easily
  • DoomTay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DoomTay polycounter lvl 12
    You're gonna make it an arm cannon!? No way! Won't that require new animations or something?
  • DinkyDogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DoomTay wrote: »
    You're gonna make it an arm cannon!? No way! Won't that require new animations or something?

Well, i believe with any new model or skin for a game, you'll have to... So ill try my best as my first time to not dissapoint XD
  • Dalmationer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    Call it Barret, this is the name of the guy from FF7 who also has a gunarm xD

For the love of god, this!
  • DinkyDogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE: Sorry bout lack of new stuff, just had abit going on lately. I've changed position of magazine for better silhouette, added a gauge that will animate on weapon spin and generally touched some stuff up before i start animation.

PICS !! (OMG yay your so awesome)

Comparison of wat you see in motion (yes i know off centre and big, but i just did it roughly, will be fixed for anims)
    comparisono.jpg

New magazine position, gives better silhouette
    downlowv.jpg

I think the name barret would cause a copy right infringement if used in tf2 :P
  • OMGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks pretty nice, but you know what I just was thinking of? How is he going to be able to use his secondary or melee attacks? I think you may have to move it to his left arm or something so he can still have it attached and just shoot/eat and punch with one arm.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    He could just minigun-whip people, right? Maybe attach a lunchbox, or sandwich holder?
    :)

I like this a lot, it reminds me of some of the Wolfenstein 3D bosses.
  • denvarte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMGod wrote: »
    That looks pretty nice, but you know what I just was thinking of? How is he going to be able to use his secondary or melee attacks? I think you may have to move it to his left arm or something so he can still have it attached and just shoot/eat and punch with one arm.

this, switch it to his left arm and make it look like it can fold down for shotgunning, eating, and fisting

maybe make view models for other weapons have a blockie metal fist?

also name wise: It might be cool to go with a male name, I'd go with Vlad in that case.

But if not Sasha 2.0 or Alexandra would be cool
  • tex_cookiedough
    definitely prefer that mag position to the other one.. frees up a lot of space so there isnt too much going on ;D keep it up (y)

eagerly awaiting anims / texture =]
  • DinkyDogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMGod wrote: »

well, i was thinking that his arm wasnt gonna be CUT off at all, just be like a glove which he can pull his hand in and out... or be like mega man where the barrel and mag comes off and keeps the body bit.

I fear i may be inadequate to model a robotic hand and such... unless i steal valves model :P
  • DinkyDogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final tweaks done before starting anims, Managed to cut down polies to 5.7k flat...
    It is just gonna be like a glove with a trigger inside, so sorry for all the people who wanted the heavies hand gone :p

.... dont..... please dont look at me like that *cry*

Silhouette
    silhouette.jpg

Wires
    wire1.jpg
    wire2.jpg
  • tex_cookiedough
    i'm liking your progress, nice job =] cant wait to anims and textures, keep it up (y)