Home Unreal Engine

multiple uvw sets on a static mesh?

Been searching but can't seem to find out.

Can you have multiple uvw sets on a static mesh?

How I am trying to use it: Putting snow on a tree, around the base and on the tops of branches

In max I have it set up as a composite material and would like to mimic the effects in UDK.
I have a tile-able bark material that's used on the the tree trunk and branches set up in my uvw 1 channel.
I have another material that is snow patches on the uvw 2 channel.

can it be done? and if so how :) any links,pointers ect greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Yeah, I don't use max, but with XSI, maya and max you can make a mesh (skeletal or static) with multi materials. But note they ise only one UV for the lightmap. So if your model is decomposed in 2 UV part, the third is for the lightmap.

Under Max, I think you have to make sub-materials, but I'm not sure (I use XSI, not max).
  • Zazerzs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Froyok, setting up a static mesh with multi materials is no problem. You are right,in max you just need to make it a sub -material.

My problem is with using multiple uvw layouts not uvs. It gets a little confusing cause it seems that UDK calls materials uv.

I'm trying to get a staticmesh to use a tileable texture on uvw set 1 and then a specific detail texture on uvw set 2.

Thanks for the reply though :)
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    put the snow uv on channel 3 since uv channel 2 in max is uv channel 1 in udk and generally used for the lightmaps. you could switch the lightmap channel udk uses but that's more hassle compared to using the 3rd uv channel for whatever you want to overlay.

in the material editor you can use a texture coordinate node and change its coordinate index to access the different UV channels.

coordinate index 0 = basic UVs, in your case the bark and called uv channel 1 in max
    coordinate index 1 = lightmap UVs, unwrap everything uniquely with enough padding, called uv channel 2 in max
    coordinate index 2 = put your snow UVs in there, called uv channel 3 in max.

not sure if that made anything more clear, but yeah.
  • Zazerzs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Divi: Thank you! That's what I was looking for, and thank you for the heads up on coordinate index 1/uvw channel 2 light map info.

:)
  • JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JValencia polycounter lvl 10
    How do you set up multiple UV channels on an object in Maya?

In Max you could add multiple ones with a Unrwap UVW modifier, but I am not sure how to do this in Maya. Thanks!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    juanitudev1: Use the 'create empty uv set' to add more uv channels in Maya.
  • Zazerzs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey start your own thread :P

back to the material set up for those who are having the same issue.
    to get them to show up on your staticmesh you will also need to combine the two materials with an Add node. (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)

I'll post my material set up once its complete for review :)

I've gotten the snow to show up,awesome. Looks like I know enough to blend 2 materials.

I am currently tying to add another detail which I have mapped to my uvw 4 channel in max, which means channel 3 in UDK, ok i get that. And blending 2 materials is simple enough using a Add node, but what about adding a 3rd?

EDIT: ok my bad, it looks like I do have it set up right... I think :)

Here is my mess so far.material_layout.jpg
  • JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JValencia polycounter lvl 10
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lerps might be what you want to use rather than add. Then you can have a texture on each a+b and use a mask (maybe embedded in the alpha of one of your maps). Than, in one of those channels, you can have another lerp as well. And keep going from there. Its kinda like using composite materials in max, and in each of those have a composite and so on.

udkmaterials.jpg
  • Zazerzs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kdm3d: Awesome! That exactly what I'm trying to do. Thank you very much for taking the time to make me the image layout as well. Being new to UDK's material set up I would of never of tried a lerp. Thanks for the tip! :)

Once I get my material set up I'll post my map set up.
  • Zazerzs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Set up so far. Lerps are working great.
    material_layout2.jpg
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like thats more the idea you're looking for. I'm a little confused as to why you are using your texture coordinate node with unique textures. Usually, its strictly tiling textures that is used for those, with an alpha mask used in the lerp for your "macro" (overall) unwrapped uv's.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    possibly because he wants the snow and details to use different UVs than the bark(?) i guess.
  • Zazerzs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdm3d: I am using the different texture coordinates to put extra details on the tree. I have the tileable bark texture thats used on the trunk and branches. I have another texture page containing a few tree knot details that I want to use to break up the plane bark texture on the trunk, but since i want those in specific places I created a new uvw set to be able to do that.
    The tree is also in a snow scene so I wanted to add a little snow on top of the branches and along the base of the trunk and that's where the 3rd uvw set came in.

Heres a max render to show ya what I'm doing. might make more sense that way. UDK materials are new to me is there a better way? on a side note I'm pretty sure we've met in RL, I was over on Forza 2 for 6 months. I'll send ya a PM or sumpthin :)

Divi: yup :)

post_01.jpg
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    it might actually be the cheapest way if you have only one asset that requires that treatment. if you have a lot of different assets that you might want to have snow on it might be interesting to look into vertex painted masks for a tiling snow texture.

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Advanced_Vertex_Painting.html
    could make a master material from that and paint some snow on everything you want.