Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Trying to sculpt jeans

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Heres my first serious attempt at sculpting jeans. I constantly checked back between references and tried to get a nice transition between folds as they moved up the legs. I did not make the human base mesh, please don't crit that.

CC? Some paint-overs would be nice <3

jeansga.png

Replies

• Snake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snake polycounter lvl 17
    The human base mesh looks perfect. Just kidding, sorry. The only thing that come quickly to my mind is the crotch part, it looks like baggy, like if the butt should go there and not the pelvis. When you put your legs together what it usually happens is that a kind of V shape forms, not hanging bags. I'm sorry I didn't do a draw over, I'm just not that good with my tablet yet.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    No need for a paint over, first thing is that besides the crotch, keep in mind that Jeans are mostly manufactured, therefore to make it look authentic you need the stitching and creases nailed down before your paint all those folds. Take a look at the ones in your clothing store and see what I mean.

No pockets?

The folds themselves by the way are also a little too big and they make the jeans seem really loose. Unless you're making leather jeans, you should consider making them smaller, particularly near the crotch so it looks like it's fitting properly.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    the 2 pictures on the left have stitching and pockets. Zbrush crashed while i was taking my pictures so the last 3 dont have the saved stitching.

I was also more concerned about CC on the folding
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    It looks pretty good for a first attempt. the area around the knee will look weird when the knee is bent because of the inward fold. Also introduce some sharper folds and some microfolds around regions the cloth is bent the most e.g. the crotch area and the back of the knees.