Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi room WIP

Hey guys recently started work on a map in the UDK, its a sci-fi briefing room, used by techs/officers to brief marines before sending them through the teleporter(round mesh in centre of room).

testtm.jpg

Now i currently have these meshes untextured in 3ds max, and this is just a screenshot of what they look like and how they scale in the UDK. The large rectangle on the right wall is going to be textured and turned into a holographic screen.

So what do you guys think? Please post as much criticism as you can think of, as i like it and it helps me improve.

Thanks,
big

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I see a room, but not much in particular sets up the back story you brought up, are there going to be some fancy eye grabbing sci-fi modules, chairs or marine gear and all that? I kind of thought it was a medical infirmary at first glance.

Do you also have a few planned shots to show off the scene? It would be great to tackle that as more can be done with this scene at an early stage.
  • biggest_kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang wrote: »
    I see a room, but not much in particular sets up the back story you brought up, are there going to be some fancy eye grabbing sci-fi modules, chairs or marine gear and all that? I kind of thought it was a medical infirmary at first glance.

Do you also have a few planned shots to show off the scene? It would be great to tackle that as more can be done with this scene at an early stage.

Well actually thats wat i was looking to get help on. I need some help decorating the room, as ive hit a mind blank and im all out of ideas. Ive looked at a lot of reference pics of other sci fi rooms, but it just feels as if the meshes used to decorate them wouldnt fit in to my scene. This is my first time modeling sci-fi rooms, and as u can see i need a lot of help lol.

And its a room for a map, not a scene, so this pic is really just a screenshot to include as much of the room as i could.
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    Perhaps enough seats for a squad or two facing the debriefing (I'm assuming) screen on the wall?

Without knowing the technological level of the military force in play here or what kind of story requirements this room has its hard to say anything more.

Sci-Fi as an aesthetic is generally narrative driven. If you don't have immediate ideas, base it off of the science fiction in the story/game mechanic.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    i like that bmw emblem in the middle icon9.gif
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what about doing like an sci version of an old world war 2 "war room"

have a big globe or map in the middle displaying troop movements or some fictional land or space or something. banks of computers for officers to use, some seating for a squad to use like AsaNYC said.

thinking something like:
    butn20.jpgwar_room.jpg
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No! Don't show him the big board!