Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

my first environment

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
so anyway, i've spent all my time up until now making characters, and character related things. which was fine and dandy. but i feel like there are holes in particular parts of my reportoir.

so i decided to make an environment, one which focuses more on hard surface details than anything else. and chose this:
swkotortaris1280x960.jpg

i've decided to do the main walkway as modular set pieces. which in itself is fun, but i've run into something i didn't think of.
when i bake down to normalmaps, for this kind of thing, is it better to bake into tangent, or object space? and what reason make that choice better?

here's the first piece:
wipqg.jpg

Replies

• Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Try tiling textures and reserve your one offs for smaller more significant objects and far off vista's. You'll work faster and it will look better and less blurry. I usually find it helpfull to make textures first. Solid generics, trims, floors, floor trims, etc. This way you can focus your high rez bakes on fully tiled texture bakes and let game geo handle any smooth corners you would otherwise handle with a normal map. Also might not be a bad idea to consider vertex blending for maximum detail and variation.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would suggest a blockout of the entire scene to get proper scale and composition down before doing anything else. break it apart into modular elements and then focus on making what you need.

starting doing highpoly right away will probably come back to bite you in the ass when things arnt lining up properly or the scene as a whole ends up not jiving because of a couple elements that could have been planned out in the blockout.

cool choice of scene, the concept art for that game is wicked.