Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Infested Hallway

Hi everyone, thanks for all the comments on my last project where I modeled a robotic drone. I took them all very much to heart and I’m looking forward to implementing those and doing better on this current project.

So I’m pretty much doing a sci fi hallway. A while ago for Unearthly Challenge: Good and Evil, some friends and I attempted to participate. We sadly had a failure to launch, but I still like the ideas we came up with and would like to see it through.

Here are the first few images of the environment, as well as the paint over a buddy of mine did to suit the criteria of the aforementioned challenge. Currently I modeled out the wall portion. Took some liberties with a few parts, but for the most part I tried to model the big shapes closely following the concept. I have some parts for the wall that I would like to bake out its normals on to a plane and bend that to match the curvature of the hallway. After that I’ll bake out the maps for the other larger pieces put things together from there and see what I come up with. The next big step will be to model out the floor.

A goal in this process is to get better with reusing built assets to create the environment efficiently. So suggestions with that would be greatly appreciated, as well as anything else I could be doing better. I’ll also be sticking to the specs that were given for this challenge. Thanks in advance for looking at my work, and for any comments or critique you have.

Original Concept
24gawardevilmachinebedl.jpg

Paintover
[FONT=&quot]evilconcept3.jpg[/FONT]

Wall pieces wipwall01.jpg

Everything together
wipwall02.jpg

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i would add more angular stuff to those wall pieces they will produce quite a dull normal map atm..

some of the panelling looks like it would overlap like armour quite nicely giving each panel a nice slanted normal

also the round thing doesnt sit quite well on the wall.. maybe add a collar round it which interacts with the shapes of the wall panelling
  • chubs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input, yeah I’m not sure how I’m feeling bout the high poly wall. It looks like the concept but not as interesting as I would like. I do however plan on creating some extra wall pieces that aren’t in the concept, so this is where I would like to come up with more interesting shapes.

Here’s an update on my progress. I’ve been spending my time unwrapping and baking normal, diffuse, and ambient occlusion maps for the main parts of the wall. I have about 10 or so more pieces to unwrap and bake. After that I’ll start piecing the wall together till I come up something that can be tiled and used over again to create a hallway similar to what’s in the concept. Images below are the low poly next to hi poly for comparison. The low poly has normal, ambient occlusion, and a base color.

Wall Part01
    wallwip01.jpg

Wall Part02
    wallwip02.jpg

Ball
    wallwip03.jpg

BallFrame
    [FONT=&quot]wallwip04.jpg[/FONT]
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Any specific reason for all the horizontal cuts on the wall parts? I also think you're using a bit too much polies on the ball, and too many bevels on the ring.
  • Ninjai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tbh, I don't think the wall sections need to be all that complex, considering your paintover where it has all the alien goostrings.
    Though there are a helluva lot of wires in the concept, so moar of them?
  • chubs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the reason why I put in horizontal cuts is because i plan on adding a bend modifier to the low poly to match the curvature of the wall.

I agree that the poly count seems a bit high on the ball, and the frame it sits in. Ill look into reducing those as I move along.

Yeah cant wait till I add in the alien stuff, but first i just want to get the environment right, and then add alien stuff to it.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.
  • chubs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey here’s an update on my progress. I have to wall tile close to done, I still need to model and UV wires and other extraneous elements that are in the concept. I tried to arrange all the pieces so that it matched the concept but it didn’t look so good in a 3d space. So instead I arranged things so that it would have a more symmetrical appearance. Still going to play around with things but I like this look for the most part.

Next on list of things to do is fix the normal map irregularities, and adjust the base color. Right now I don’t like how busy it all looks together right now. So I’ll try having darker colors and less contrast for the back wall, and the pieces on top will be lighter. After that I will be looking into another viewport viewing solution like 3Point or Xoliul’s shader.

I’m thinking of holding off on really detailing the environment till it’s all there set in place with a good base color layout. So after I finish this list of things to do I’ll be moving on to the floor and ceiling portion of the environment.

Thanks for everyone’s comments I went ahead and reduced a bit here and there, however looking at things I probably could reduce even more. If you have any comment or critique it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Wall tiled with base color, ambient, and normal maps

walltilewip02.jpg

Wires

walltilewip01.jpg
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    That looks great so far
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh very nice, someone else doing a high tech ball :) i like it! an interesting concept scene too.
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure about anyone else, but i was drawn to this :
    54115630.jpg
    Doesnt fit in right
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's sort of late to make changes I'm suggesting but the walls look like they're made of clay. There are tons of edge loops but tighter loops would make things look harder. I don't see why you're smoothing the objects, you're doubling or tripling the polycount, but for what reason?
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    you got some normal issues on your lowpoly. Might want to break up the smoothing groups
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    needs moore dirt ;)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    your poly usage is all over the place...hundreds on the sphere details... and three across the top of the collar...for example... by all means add more around the base where the players eyes going to be but try to keep it more conststant and thought out than it is
  • chubs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for your comments. After hearing them and doing some evaluation, I decided to go back a few steps and really do things properly. I believe I made an error in just jumping straight into making high poly stuff, instead of blocking things out. Coming up with a logical and clean way for things to fit together. So that’s what I’ll be doing for the next week or two, low poly block out and then do the high poly.

I did find a quick viewport solution to preview my model with maps applied in using 3Point’s shader. However, in the long run I will probably need load the environment in a proper engine like unreal or crysis.

Below are some screen grabs of the shader on some of the props in the scene. They’re just using a normal map, base color, glow map, and ambient occlusion.

ball02.jpg

ball01.jpg

leg01.jpg

leg02.jpg

props01.jpg

[FONT=&quot]props02.jpg[/FONT]