Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

US Penitentiary Alcatraz (Environment)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
Hey peoples,

This is my first ever project post on Polycount so please be nice! Only kidding, feel free to crit whatever I post on this thread as much as you like.

Summer is here and I currently have a few months of freedom to abuse, hopefully to bulk up my postfolio! So I thought I would have a crack at an environment that i haven't really seen around, well not well done anyways from what I have seen (you may quote me wrong).

ALCATRAZ! A location that held some of the most notorious men in history.

There is a game just released called Alcatraz (2010)... Its looks SO BAD graphically... check it out. As I plan to make it look like poop to mine! :P (Hopefully)

Visited the place a few months ago and was facinated with the place and the haunting feel that lurks around its corridors and rooms. Luckily on my visit I collected tonnes of reference images (Holiday snaps really) which will help the production of the project. I've visited a few flickr profiles to add, just to gather missing pieces that are needed to make sense of a lot of things.

My plan is to model the main cell blocks first and then if I have time, make my way outside and model the Island down to the waters edge. That idea is only a concept at the minute as I only have 2 or so months! Want to do other things in the mean times too.

I still need to start my block out stage (in UDK / Maya) but for now I'm going to post a few reference / mood sheets just to give an idea of what is to come. The reference is a compliation of my own photography as well as others sourced on flickr (thus copyright free). The only things that would really help me right now would to have dimensions of the building which are hard to find, so if anyone knows a place where I can get these that would be great... If not dont worry!

Reference:

Dining Hall and Kitchen

DiningHallReference.jpg

Cells Blocks and Library

CellsandlibraryReference.jpg

Cell Blocks

CellBlocksReference.jpg

Showers and Cells

CellBlocksandReception.jpg

Maps and Exterior

outsideReference.jpg

More Maps and Exterior (Detail)

outside3Reference.jpg

Exterior Areas (Dock, Recreation Area, Towers ect)

outside2Reference.jpg

I welcome ANY criticism and advice as I will admit I am still a rookie at all this! Only in my second year of university and still have lots to learn.

In the meantime, stand-by for block-outs!

:D

Replies