Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skaven warrior [2D]

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
haikai polycounter lvl 8
For practice, here's my stylized concept of a Skaven warrior (which are basically like demonic rat men in the Warhammer universe). I don't see concept art posted here often, but I'm interested in critiques on the art quality as well as the following:
  • Does it look like it has enough information for you to build a 3d model with? (besides the lack of a back view!)
  • Despite the messiness can you tell what everything is supposed to be? (materials, etc.)
  • Do you expect more detailed and finely rendered concepts in your jobs?
I have a lot of respect for the quality of Mythic WAR concepts, but I'm interested in seeing how many of us in other studios get polished concepts like that. Thanks!

skaven.jpg

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    the only purpose of polish is showoff. if its not intended to go outside the studio it only has to be practical - that is, translate the idea to the your team mates.

the forms are very good and the volumes are clear. the materials are guess, tho, a lot of room for imagination and personal interpretation. the red parts are...? and what kind of fabric is the green? and the white? and the metal has what texture?
    these aren't necessary for all but some ppl/studios might want an accurate depiction of material relief.
    if this doesn't flow in ur painting process naturally u might want to consider making a seperate 'enhanced' window of each material, using textures and what not, to really convey its properties.
  • HappyFool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HappyFool polycounter lvl 10
    I really like this concept, i would definitely like to see it in 3D. As for the materials on this guy i agree with shotgun. That green stuff on his head looks like armor but on his hands it looks like gloves. And that white fur (if it is fur) doesn't look good to me. I'd say full red armor for his head, or no armor and remove that triangle on his chest :D Otherwise it looks awesome. :D