Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chapel Ruins: Mini environment

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
Hey everyone! I've been hard at work on my third project for a while now, and while I was digging up references for the ruins of the chapel for part of the larger scene I have planned, I swung directions and decided to do a much smaller environment for the moment. I really want to be applying for Environment artist jobs now and I feel that this final project added to my portfolio will help me out.

Anyway, this is made with assets I plan to use again in my larger scale Fantasy setting environment. The back story for this chapel is that it's obviously really old and just in ruins. The triangular altar is a symbol of what these people held dear: They worshiped/venerated triangular shapes. That's why some of the items in the ruins are triangular in some way. I just thought that perhaps I should rearrange the chapel to more triangular than a rectangle. If you think that's a good idea that's extra votes. Maybe I'll mess with that after the rest of the items are ready to go.

The style I've been sort of aiming for is to be similar to Oblivion/Fable. Mostly Oblivion when it comes to the object color. I think LoTR, strong yellow lights to symbolize good, has played a part too, and that's why the light is strong and yellow. God rays are also fun to play with.

I have some assets left to texture and I have to re unwrap and re High poly the back wall. Lighting, Post Process, and further texture and object refinements are still WIP as well, though further along. The trees are something that I'd like a few suggestions on. My leaves are kind of high poly and I have a plan to reduce it (and fix the light map errors on half of the leaves) but I wanted crits/suggestions form you guys first. I also plan to add some extra items to the scene as well after the meat and potatoes are done.

ChapelWIP3.jpg

Replies

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for being long winded. I haven't waited this long to post before, I figured I needed to get this far on my own for once (if I have to remake 3/4 of my assets than so be it it's called learning!) I've been doing high poly sculpts in Zbrush, trying to learn more of the program. I've been using normal maps on level 1 subdiv surfaces from ZB, thinking of boosting it to two if it'll give me better results at the expense of polygons.

K done.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Dan,

This is a nice start, but I have a couple of crits. First you need to dial back that sun, while it's nice to try to give an ambience to your scene, keep in mind if you're using it for portfolio work the potential employer wants to be able to see your work and you should present it in a way that does just that.

How are you doing your leaves? Can I suggest that you just use planes with alphas? I'd break up the canopy more too, it looks very blocky and unnatural.

It's nice to hear that you're using zbrush in your work! Now here is the bad thing... I can't really tell that you're using zbrush in your work. I wouldn't be afraid of throwing more polys into the scene, but only where it is needed to help define the shapes of things.

Careful about the textures you use too, since you're doing an outdoor scene everything can start to look pretty noisy, so you might want to go in and try to reduce that a bit.

I'd grab a few more reference pictures, and good outdoor CG scenes to work from while you do this. I think you'll be able to see what they did right and emulate that but put your own spin on it. Remember what I say... you need to be producing work as good or better than what is currently out there now, or at least aiming for that. Take a look at Crysis/uncharted 2 they have beautiful ourdoor areas.

The stuff that is working for you right now (or at least I think damn sun) is the grass/flowers/boulders.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea, realy town down the godrays from the sun, now that that's included with UDK everyone seems to be cranking it on, its becoming the new photoshop lensflare, except it can actually look good when done subtly.

the grass looks pretty decent but really work on the tree alpha and texture. the texture on that ruins piece on the right on the foreground seems really low res. looks like the scene is promising man, lookin forward to the next update.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Vic, I've played enough Crysis to remember how most of it looks but I might pop it back in (need to anyway for Cry Engine 2) and romp around a bit. BTW, how's the job?

PixelMasher, the texture on the ruin is a 1024 map. Textures have actually been my enemy on this piece so far. I'm thinking that I might run back over all those ruin pieces and see what I can do about the textures after I get the rest of the scene (what you see that is) more up to snuff. God rays...yea, I'll fix that down the road here lol.

Trees: They are alpha's planes. Problem is that they are a bunch of alpha planes grouped in Maya in a particular configuration and then rotated and whatnot for variation. The problem is that they barely look ok and I know that. They also push the polycount of the tree up into the 20K range (for the Oak trees, the Aspen's are about 9K? ). My first run with the trees was not so good, the textures were huge on the planes of which there weren't a whole lot, so yea. That's a big hurdle.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm fairly tired and I have to get up early for yard sale stuff so I'm going to post two pix and just give a quick list of what I haven't fixed. The first image is about where my camera is going to be at, my second one is a further look so you can see some extra stuff. I'm considering removing/scaling the tower for presentation purposes (needed the asset made for the larger scale scene in the future).
    ChapelWIP4.jpg
    ChapelWIP4Far.jpg

Not fixed:
    -Anything Tree related
    -Lighting, light shafts look better due to camera angle.
    -Back wall was edited but still is messed up. Need to fix it again.
    -Post process was not touched
    -Fog was not touched

That should do it. Please let me know what you think and I'll post a bit more in detail/answer questions and comments tomorrow.

Thank you guys!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Looks alot better. Maybe more variation on the stone? Moss or ivy?
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea Frell, I agree with stone variations to an extent. More adjustments need to be made on the base diffuse texture to show off some extra detail and colors. The basic type though I intend to be the same because it was at one point part of a chapel.

I feel that I'm going to remove the arch so that the view I intend to show is better. I don't want to have to be fighting it when only a small portion of it will be in the shot. If I back away then I see less of the inside of the ruins unless I chose to do some fun scaling which I don't feel is a good idea.

I think the specularity on the right side wall with the square in it needs tweaking.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to work with lightshafts effectively? And tree building too, I'd like to avoid using speed tree for the experience of modeling a tree myself. I think I really just need to fix the leaves but I'm not 100% sure on that.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so we all know my tree leaves are shit. Well I've finally got to work on those. I've started with the oak tree first, and so far this is what I have. Am I on the right track? From what I can tell they look tons better although the normal directions will probably need to be edited once I'm done populating the tree. Any tips? I'm using this tutorial for the leaves since I already have the trunks created. I'm also refrencing this a little bit too.

TreeWIP.jpg
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: That floaty bit on the left, kind of ignore that. It's a group I haven't placed yet.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is what I have in UDK so far. Material is non-directional lighting model. The aspens accidentally have the same leaves but they'll be fixed. Is this a much better improvement and much closer to what I should be doing? I'm going to go about fixing the normals too on the planes.
    TreesUDK.jpg
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    question about the god rays ..... what light are you using in unreal to create them..

the leaves on the trees look better ... you need to add lighting int he background its gray atm..

Cheers..
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using a dominant directional light. And yea the background is just the height fog at the moment actually lol. I'm glad you like the leaves better I'm planning to use the same method for the leaves for the Aspen.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I have a near final image to show, but I need some help too. First, image.
    Help.jpg
    This isn't exactly the final camera view, this is more to show the kind souls of Polycount what's going on. I wanted darker overall lighting in the environment while the middle area was warmer and better lit. I have done this through the use of two spotlights shining down on the middle of the scene, while the DDS is casting on everything and giving the nice God Rays. So far I'm pretty happy with it, I might boost the intensity of the spots a bit. Only the DDS is doing anything with the shadows.

A problem I'm having is that arch. Before I started adjusting the lights I had no problems with the normal maps or the color maps or anything else. My previous setup was point light in the middle of the scene and a point light outside the scene casting on the arch. Unfortunately, I can't use light inclusion volumes anymore I don't think. I've looked around. Are there any suggestions? Does UDK have a similar ability to light link like Maya does?

Second problem: My own skydome/box likes to block out my light shafts. Lighting is fine and dandy but it just won't work. I can use an Epic skybox and it half works, the color is no longer the color of my light shafts but the color of the skybox's emissive material. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Other than that I plan to add some little butterflies and trinkets on the altar, fix what I see wrong/you say needs fixing up and be ready for a Polycount Portfolio rapi....I mean review. ;)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think the chapel itself just looks like you made it up.
    atmosphere is nice, but the design is lacking somehow.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's partly true. Layout, wall design and the camera angle were based off of a picture I found online. Parts, like the arch and the Altar are my own idea yes. And the window in the back.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    i think you could put a lot more detail in your stone/walls and arches. atm they look quite unnatural. i'd go for a more stone brick look like this:
    cd726ff30998a0bbb08f41839b3c019c20090120191246.jpg

i figure you'll want to blend it with the environment too so some overlaying vines/plants would work well aswell as texturing moss and grass onto some of the stone walls
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so now that I'm done with lighting and tweaking (unless someone has suggestions) I'm posting two WIP shots. The closer up one is more than likely my primary 'folio shot (arch might be axed for that one) and the second one is just...well is. As for my issues, I fixed the first one. UDK does have something similar to light linking and it worked wonders. Haven't fixed the second one though so I'll figure that out tomorrow.

Illusive, thanks for the crit. I agree with you they aren't exactly natural. I appreciate the example too. I'm going to work that into my current sculpts (have the ztools saved I think) and if it looks like shit I'll just do it over. It'll only be like the third time.

Ok here are the two shots. Enjoy!

ChapelWIP5.png
    ChapelWIP5A.png
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Some better composition would help by keeping your focal points off center.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, you have any suggestions? I'll play around with it later today after I attempt to edit my walls.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I like the scene Rurouni.

A couple crits I have; I think your rock pieces are a bit too vague. Like Illusive mentioned. I think you need to add in some breaks and cracks in the rocks. I find it hard to believe that those pieces could be made from one rock each.

Try breaking up the rock in several different pieces.

I would also love to so some pixie dust floating about.

Lastly, I would either edit the skybox to look more like a sky, or fill in the back ground with trees to give a sort of deep woods feeling/vibe.

Looking forward to some more updates :)
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe some brighter coloured flowers positioned to one side, then put something on the opposite side to balance it out.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea today I'm going to re-tackle the walls. Hoping I've gotten enough of zbrush down to pull it off in there. Or maybe not, got some planning to do.

Pixie dust sounds awesome! Does UDK have some sort of emitter I could use to create that effect? Thinking of other ways I could do that.

Skyboxes have been giving me a problem, hence why one isn't in there. I would like to add one. And brandoom, I think I'm going to take you up on extra trees. I think I'll also take my current trees and make a super low LOD mesh, like 4-6 intersecting planes based on renders of those trees and use them for extreme far away positioning.

Hope to have a new shot for y'all at the end of the day!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something that might be of interest to you Rurouni, a rock tutorial by PhilipK that was recently posted in the technical forums - http://philipk.net/tutorials/modular_rocks/modular_rocks.html
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, checking it out right now.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out a better approach to my walls. It's really frustrating me to hell and back. Help please? I'm going to keep trying to figure it out on my own too.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One approach to this would be to break up each piece/rock into several small pieces. Each of which you will detail/texture separately. Then construct the original shape with the separate pieces and bring back into UDK.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Couple things...

I agree with everything else that's been said too about the sky/breaking up the rocks etc.

Watch your texel density, you have some objects like that rock in the foreground that look great, but your rock walls look a little muddy and like the texture is being stretched.

I think your glass material needs a bit more work too, though that'll probably be a little difficult. I like it, but it just needs to be pushed. Along those same lines, the way the glass shattered doesn't really make logical sense. So maybe try working on that some too.

Your trees look loads better, but I'd through a few more edge loops towards the trunk, as I'm starting to see a pretty polygonal silhouette, get rid of some edgeloops ion the branches if you need to (covered by leaves anyways).

I also think you need to frame the shot a little better and add a real focal point of interest. Right now it's the glass... which is ok, but really not all that interesting and "wow" factor.

All in all though this is some of your best work to date, and pushed a little more could turn out really nice.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Vic. I'm doing better with these walls now, nothing concrete but I at least feel like I'm making progress which is a plus. Def. over that creative block or whatever. Hope to have something tomorrow.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after suffering some artist block, I churned out this. Better or worse? I still tried to get that arch thing on the right side in there but I might scrap that, it's in the reference but It's not like it's a big deal if it's not there. Or might mess with it I don't know. Anyway, All I have is basic Diffuse and basic normal on the wall pieces, and some of the normals baked out wrong so I need to fix that. The layout isn't final and parts need to be rotated and fixed here or there. And Lightmass wasn't run on this either it's just UDK's default dynamic look in editor from my light setup.

I feel it's an improvement but I'm not sure how much. Suggestions comments?

WIPWalls.jpg
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My eyes are burning. They burned all through Inception, which was FANTASTIC! No spoilers here though.
    This is my latest WIP. I redid the stones and I accomplished better normal bakes with less polys and a more efficent texture map. Win. I also decided to add in my arch asset again. I can't decide weather to keep or ditch it. Speaking of, on that asset and on my back wall (which I intend to keep) I added a stone wall texture that makes it look more wall like. I made it during my artist block stages for stone concepts.

ChapelWIP6.jpg

Please let me know what you think. I need to be done in a few days, I go to visit my grandparents in SC soon and I intend to be doing some job apps while I'm there or even before I go. I'll have my portfolio up for "review" tomorrow or Wednesday with a WIP of this included.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have any reference pictures of what it is your aiming for? If so, post those, and then we'll have a better idea of how to help you.

As of right now though, those stacks of bricks aren't doing your scene any justice. As I mentioned before, I think the best approach would be to model several ( 5 or 6 ) different blocks, texture and detail each separately, and then construct different bits and pieces with them.

But for now, post your references.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea sure here it is:
    Ref1.jpg
    ChurchConcept.jpg
    Ref2.jpg

And an Oblivion example I was trying to use for help/style guide.
    Wall1.jpg

I'm currently redoing my arch thing to be more ruined than it currently is but yea I'll definitely come back to fix those bricks/walls. I've been watching my bro play lots of Uncharted and I'm going to check out Gears PC for extra examples. Probably jump back into Oblivion too. Thanks for the help!
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I scrapped the rock pillar things I had in favor of walls. These walls are textured with some fun image manipulation I did with a render of bricks I made in zBrush rendered in Maya and the texture I've been using. Then to show damage and so fourth I combined and tiled a few images. What you see below is just diffuse and the very very basic normal. No light baking either.

I'm going to finish the walls. I'm going to bring in some of the bricks I used to create the texture and place them in the walls so where is some extra geometry pop. I'll apply similar principles to the wall in the back and the pillar, and see how it looks. I also got a few other things to fix and plenty of grass to move...not looking forward to that.

ChapelWIP7.jpg
    ChapelWIP7A.jpg
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I think it looks pretty good! What is killing it for me is the lack of surrounding environment. The empty void really ruins the feeling of being there. Hide that empty abyss and it will feel much more enclosed, much more intimate.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    The trees foliage is clearly off to me. It should be closer to the color of your grass, and let the eye surf other parts of the image.

This last arch picture is not looking like an arch. Sorry. You've got to arrange your stones like it would be done in real life so the arch does not fall on the ground.

I suggest you to sculpt each stone of your arch (or make a group of stone, sculpt it and then clone it) instead of doing a big object and try to sculpt splits into it. It'll look less blobby.

43df410551e0a02f49b980a7e11d2.jpg
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum...no dude don't say sorry! I'll work on it after I get the rest done. Thanks for the tip!

Prophecies, I've been putting off my environment dome for a while. It messes with my god rays and thus I've pushed it to the side. Thanks for reminding me though. I also need to do some extra low poly trees to help out with that too.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IMO just a surrounding rock formation would do the trick. Just barely high enough to hide that horizon line.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That could be awesome. I'll have to try that! Man, getting this done before I leave Tuesday morning is going to be interesting.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, you can do it man! Look up what Adam did in his Evil genius environment. His rock formations look really good and can be make in a rather short period of time. On top of which, they shouldn't hamper your light shafts.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    You have what look like rounded boulders in the middle of what used to be the chapel's floor. This seems out of place.

After any location has been built on by humans, we tend to clear out and smooth the floors. This stays the same even after a building is destroyed as large stones aren't casually thrown around. Instead, any stones left lying around within the wall boundaries are likely to be stones from the building itself, and thus be things like brick, or large masonry stones with flat sides, as opposed to being rounded.

You can try and say the stones were made round again by weathering, but you must realize that anything that would weather large building stones back to being round, would also likely wear away the entire building in the process.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    I really like it. So whats you workflow on this? Do you block out everything in BSP brushes then make the static meshes in 3ds Max/Mudbox?
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio, very nice point. I'll have to analyze that and possibly replace some boulders with some bricks or smaller stones.

Prophecies, that's exactly what I was thinking. I love his thread btw, I've learned so much from it.

SnakeDoctor my workflow has varied by object. In this case, I used very little BSP because the scene it's self is not complicated. I've done basic BSP block outs before though. In this case, I created an objects and then decided weather or not it needed a high poly bake. If it did, I took it to zbrush and divided it a few times either with or without the smooth modifier on in zB and then divided it until 7 or 8 sub divs with smooth on. Took it back down to 3 or 4 and started sculpting. Once I was done with that that, I exported a High poly and a lower poly model and baked the maps I needed via xNormal. I used the .ase exporter in Maya to get the low poly model to Unreal. Most of my texturing has been done in Unreal.

On a larger scene, I would totally suggest a basic BSP block out, especially for something playable like a level to gauge game play flow.

Back to work!
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChapelWIP8.jpg
    For once, a blog image link.

I'm about 90% happy with the walls. I'm going to attempt a parallax map see if I can't get any extra pop out of the texture but if not I need to move on. Short list of what I'm going to do:
    -Rock formation to surround the majority of the scene
    -Minor light fixes
    -Modified pillar, MAYBE a new one that's more correct, or just take it out completely and have no super far out shots
    -Try to fix up that glass in the back
    -Attempt some color grading via custom LUT's if I have time
    -Possibly a enviro dome depending on cliff face results. Might be an asset from Epic since it's managed to work fine with the God Rays
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody. Barring any feedback, and the possibility that I change my window material back to what I had before, this is about it. I need to try out some color grading/LUT stuff. I took out the pillar for the interest of time and because most of the shots I'll be doing won't benefit from it. My larger planned scene with these assets will benefit from it and so I'll be fixing it for sure, just not right now. So take a look and hit me with a bit of feedback!

ChapelWIP9.jpg