Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jetfiregun

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Costin polycounter lvl 12
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum!! :)
The thing is called Jetfiregun. Low poly model, if I can call it so, has 25k tris. For some modern games, for example metro 2033, its ok. I think, it will be ok for most of games so far. CC are welcome
jetfiregun_ingame_01.jpg
jetfiregun_ingame_02.jpg
Jetfiregun_hi_01.jpg
Jetfiregun_hi_02.jpg
jet_firegun.jpg

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Please post wires. Trying to see where 25k tris are being used... Cause dude... That is not ideal even with todays tech.
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody - 25k budget, it's like a tech of tommorow, at least in triangles performance.
    here comes the wire
    jet_firegun_wire.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    There is some room for optimization for sure.

You could probably cut this guns poly count in half and it would look the same...
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    its still pretty sexy nonetheless,
    good job!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with Jesse Moody. You could probably even reduce that tri count to a third of what it's at now. Especially the front circular part. That's crazy. However, it looks pretty good.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, the front is surprisingly heavy in detail for this being an fps close up weapon, where you will probably never see the front... And if you expect the character model to be holding this (3rd person and external view for multiplayer) that probably is a bit far fetched atm.

also the diffuse seems a bit boring. You did match the concept well, but this may be a situation in which you can improve on the concept a little. At least color wise.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Looks really good but the renders are kinda hard to focus on the gun with the cement background, makes my eyes dizzy:) I like it, good job
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for comments folks:)

Jesse Moody, Prophecies - there is always room for optimization, especially on this model. It could be done in 5k, or 10k tris, but goal was to create a model with 25k budget.

achillesian - this model is not for real game, cause otherwise I would optimize the parts that could be hidden from player and UV would be tweaked according to the distance of the camera. Closer parts would have more place (more pixels) then other.
    But there are situations ingame, like in crysis for example, when you customize the attachments, and you see the whole gun from a side, so details that are in the front will be seen too and front optimization is senseless.
    Also, if the gun can be orbited 360 in game shop. So the detalizations are depending of the final purposes.

achillesian - I will appriciate if you make a little overpaint, to show me how the texture could be, from your point of view. It could help me really mutch in my future works, maybe even on this one :thumbup:

ENODMI - I showed the pictures to a lot of people, but nobody except you mention that. :thumbup: I hope I will have time and will to change the background :)

thanx again guys!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, this is pretty cool.
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw, here is a screen shot, to understand the scales of the gun

• catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont think the noisy background you've chosen does any favours for the final textured model

gun looks cool and I really like the design, although I reckon you could have made it a bit clearer what the different materials are, maybe the metals need a bit more spec or reflection in places
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    have to agree about the background, it's very distracting, i'd replace it with something very subtle or get rid of it all together.

A small nitpick would be the kill tally on the side. It's very cliche, and if i had a penny for every time I've seen someone put it on their weapon, well... i'd probably have like 10p, but still...

looks nice though, keep at it
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys for comments!! :)

catstyle: about the background agree, but the main thing it is the color.Its grey like the gun.
    About the material of the metal your comment is too overal, could you say more concretely?

I will post soon some updates with new background
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work Costin, but I must say, how can you call it a low poly gun if by your own admittance, 25k for a gun wouldn't even be suitable for today's technology? :D
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man, I am tired of this holywar with this low poly:poly122::poly108: call it like you want)))
    but thanks anyway:thumbup:
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screens with updated background

jetfiregun_new_01.jpg

jetfiregun_new_02.jpg

jetfiregun_new_03.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Looks like it shoots 2 things. There's a fairly large barrel which I assume shoots shotgun shells or flak or grenades, and there's a jet which likely is something like a more precise flamethrower.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda looks like that Halo3 brute weapon.
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinda off topic but i noticed you put the cry engine 3 logo in all your images. are these taken from cry engine 3?
  • Pavel Petrenko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavel Petrenko polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Bro!
    Great stuff! Really bad ass gun! I like your concept design and hardcore modeling.
    But i think you can play more with metal texture and add more colour parts.
    Anyway this is Great job!
    Keep it up!
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavel Petrenko - thanx man!! Already told me:poly121:

thatnumpty - yes it is, but you cant get it anywere

Taylor Hood - thanx. I see from peoples comments, it has similar design to many games. I think its good:thumbup:

Snader, SasoChicken - it has 3 mods: flamethrower for infighting, fire riffle gun for midle range (fire bullets) and fire ball mod for the larger distances (the speed of shooting is the slowest, but the damage is the highest) The jet, is for pumping the presure, for all mods of fire.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    catstyle wrote: »
    i dont think the noisy background you've chosen does any favours for the final textured model

I think what was meant by this was for you to kill the bg. I think it would look more appealing and less 90s if you just had the background like you have it on your concept. Or a very quiet grey background with some gradient. I would just go for a plain grey bg.

By the way, awesome gun! That thing is fucking huge!! lol.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    not a fan of design(dislike this kind of huge ass atomic reactors, which can be used only by King Kong or GodzilLa), but executed pretty well.
    clean modelling, readable materials.
  • Costin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte - used only by King Kong or GodzilLa))) :D!! thanx man

raul - thanx for the feedback. I will try to make it with a background that you adviced, just for experiment, cause I dont really like finished medels on some quiet bg. But will see, maybe I will change my mind =)