Home Technical Talk

needs help with 3ds max cloth

im using 3ds max 10

im having a problem with a character. how would one go about using cloth on pants or a skit with out attaching them to the body but still getting them to hold in place and not fall off the character??

the piece i am trying to get to work atm is a long skirt..... n i want to have it pinned to her hips and not just have it fall into infinity....

any help would b great!

Replies

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    You can link Vertices of your Cloth to any Node you want...go into Goup Subobject Mode (press 1 or click on the + next to the Modifier and select Group), select the Vertices you want to link and hit the Node button...then chose an Object from the scene...I haven't so far been able to make it work with deforming objects...the linked Vertices will follow translations and rotations only...to make it work with deforming meshes, create multiple Helpers, link them to the Mesh via Attachment Constraints and link your Cloth-Vertices to those.
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow ok sounds like a fair bit of work for something so simple... there isnt any easier way?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    There is a much easyier way to do it.

*using a skinwrap modifier attach skirt to the character.
    *It should now follow the character as they move. if its leaving vertes behind make sure 'weight all points' is selected.
    *Put your cloth above the skinwrap select the areas you want to pin and make them into a group. set the group to preserve.
    *Setup your cloth and Simulate.

preserve is cool because it lets you control your cloth with any methods you like and then do the really nice visable bits with a cloth sim.
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great thank you il give it a go
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys i tried giving fletch's idea a go but its not really working that way i hoped.

see if u choose preserve it wont move at all when my character moves up and down just when it moves in a straight line.

is there an other option i could choose in the cloth group panel do do what im after?
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can i use node and attach it to a bone instead?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use the skin modifier, and preserve, they work perfect, I use them all the time.

It helps to turn on soft select when making the preserve group in cloth. You will want to reset the transform and scale (or reset Xform) before doing any skinning, simulations or animation.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Cabley: your doing something wrong. skinwrap should work just aswell as skin. that said collapsing it to skin is a good idea.