Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

papa_austin's environments need touching up

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Papa_Austin polycounter lvl 10
here is my first one, let me know what you think or if you see and mistakes i haven't caught or been told about.....i am just about read for the finishing touches so any critiques would be great.....also i just saw the floating stairs so i am fixing that now and checking for anything else....i will also post my harbor scene soon too

also if anyone has a better explination of this pre-multiplied alpha that i am hearing about that would be good too

Highres_Screenshot_seniorsheet2.jpg

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    3000x24103?!?!? sure internet speeds have advanced, but scale that shit down! Tiled shot rules, but dag, scale it down in photoshop some :)

the grass feels like it could use some love, it is very... erect, and doesn't blend very well with the ground. This can also be said about how the trees meet the ground - its very harsh. You could add some things there that would "soften" that transition - fallen palm leaves, taller grass/debris, some stones, etc. Hide those geometry seams! its 2010, push it to the limit!

The stone pathway is nice, adds a cool complexity to the ground. Is a little rough to pick it out as stone vs the ground and lighting however, they seem to blend.

There are splashes of blue all over the bases of trees, are those intentional? or left over directional lights? Either way, its not workin well :)

The trees and background stuff has a great vibe to it, just overall i dont think that visual density and coolness comes through to the front. The trees feel inconsistent and different in detail levels, and its missing some color balance.
  • Papa_Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    3000x24103?!?!? sure internet speeds have advanced, but scale that shit down! Tiled shot rules, but dag, scale it down in photoshop some :)

the grass feels like it could use some love, it is very... erect, and doesn't blend very well with the ground. This can also be said about how the trees meet the ground - its very harsh. You could add some things there that would "soften" that transition - fallen palm leaves, taller grass/debris, some stones, etc. Hide those geometry seams! its 2010, push it to the limit!

The stone pathway is nice, adds a cool complexity to the ground. Is a little rough to pick it out as stone vs the ground and lighting however, they seem to blend.

There are splashes of blue all over the bases of trees, are those intentional? or left over directional lights? Either way, its not workin well :)

The trees and background stuff has a great vibe to it, just overall i dont think that visual density and coolness comes through to the front. The trees feel inconsistent and different in detail levels, and its missing some color balance.

hey i need everyone to get a good look....lol, it's funny i posted a smaller one and a couple of people asked for one bigger haha, so your saying the taller trees need to balance in poly's in comparison to the scene as a whole, add a few more plans populate the ground around the tree's to ground them, ok i can work on those things

anything else really would help !
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »

completely agree... the leaves in the foreground left hand corner look like you just grabbed that texture from a website plus that plant looks like you got a leaf from a tree and you made a plant with the pedals ( i hope you understand what im saying) ... paint your own grass/leaves trust me it will look better.. plus it shows you are a painting artist and not an image manipulator..

other than that ... i was impressed with the background/middle ground but the foreground plant/trees aren't cutting it..

Cheers...
  • Papa_Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i can see that, I usually do a little of both hand painted and photo reference, i guess i will just have to mess with some hand painted and see how it turns out
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    That looks pretty! the more and more i see yall doing all these stuff inside of udk the more i want to try it myself! One thing that bugs me tho. Is that the grass eems like its just floating. Is there a way within unreal to add decals, or blend the terrain texture with a darker texture. And work out gradient values around that foliage to give it a more natural look. Same goes for the stones. To me everything look a tad too clean. It still looks cg.

Keep up the good work! :)
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul wrote: »
    That looks pretty! the more and more i see yall doing all these stuff inside of udk the more i want to try it myself! One thing that bugs me tho. Is that the grass eems like its just floating. Is there a way within unreal to add decals, or blend the terrain texture with a darker texture. And work out gradient values around that foliage to give it a more natural look. Same goes for the stones. To me everything look a tad too clean. It still looks cg.

Keep up the good work! :)

yes you can !! and you can do that in a variety of ways..

take a look here there is a tutorial or two on how to create decals/terrain and creating textures for your terrain i believe..

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/3D_Tutorials.html

Cheers...
  • Papa_Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so, yeah some of the grass in this shot is kind of....well actually floating that i didn't catch...so i have to more cautious of this, so i am going to fix that also i can try darkening the bottoms of the grass to help try and ground it....

Zack Fowler made a good point about my leaves and how i imported them so i will try his method and see if that fixes my problem with the outline I will have another WIP render up soon !
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Colors are pretty garish and intense, the lighting on the trunks and the ruins tower in the distance is flat. All of the lighting seems warm, even the indirect lighting, I would expect there to be some cooler colors in there.
  • Papa_Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so here is another WIP, i am still not happy with the tall tree's so I might redo them and make them better but in the mean time wala!

screen_wip.jpg
  • kris4an4o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Either the angle is not good or you have changed the light's intensity too high. Lower the light , make darker shadows so that you have a good contrast , then you can make beams of light coming through the leaves.Good work , i like the pyramid (or whatever it is in the distance).
  • kris4an4o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Either the angle is not good or you have changed the light's intensity too high. Lower the light , make darker shadows so that you have a good contrast , then you can make beams of light coming through the leaves.Good work , i like the pyramid (or whatever it is in the distance). :thumbup:
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    light is too yellow
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Not a bad environment at all. I agree with the cooler colors comment, though. The bark textures on the palm trees look too square and uniform in my opinion. Also, some of the grass on the bottom left of the screen pops out of the ground sort of weird. Like you need to offset it a bit. Good work overall, though. Keep plugging away!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    yes, what jordan & p442 here said about the warm/cool echoed my thoughts: in the first shot, the upper half of the image (from just below the stairs upwards) has just the right amount of warm vs cool. the lower half is just way too intensely yellow. there need be more touches of cool grass/blues somewhere, either by asset distribution or shadow-color tweaking (if that's even possible). the 2nd image posted is even more globally warm. i think that should be ur prime focus and not the details of the bark/grass etc
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    here's some things you could fix.

the grass is a little... straight.

and the green on the building blends too much wth the brown stone. i would suggest desaturating the buildings brown stone texture.

get rid of the white cloud over the building (or move it). it blooms out much of the structures detail.

texture of the palm tree is a little low res. (especially compared to the leaves its holding).

building looks like its in the shade. you want lighting to play a big role in helping audience determine the morst important part of your scene. to me, attention is drawn to the staircase because the sun seems to highlight it.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Crits above are great, one thing that stuck out about the trees: although some are tropical, together mish-mashed like that, they don't look tropical. Add some vines and thicker underbrush. And it's hard to focus on anything.

Also, I would use a different kinda of palm tree or none at all, they just don't seem to fit.

As for lighting, I'd use the warm light to lead the viewer down the path and to the temple, cool in the shadows and underbrush... pockets of warm where the light breaks through the trees.
  • Papa_Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits, I am thinking about adding a bigger variety of trees to help it feel more jungle like...so i will work on that in the next couple of days and post...

yeah there is a large amount of yellow coming from the post process i have to still fix too, well time to continue
  • LaSalle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little desaturation wouldn't hurt.. it looks unbelievably hot..(saturated)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    All that yellow is burning my eyes out of their sockets.

Why not go for something cooler, like this? I realize it's a bit desaturated and just generally imperfect, but it's a little closer to looking natural than what you currently have.
    fowN4.jpg
  • Papa_Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    All that yellow is burning my eyes out of their sockets.

Why not go for something cooler, like this? I realize it's a bit desaturated and just generally imperfect, but it's a little closer to looking natural than what you currently have.
    fowN4.jpg

hey that looks pretty nice, i will have to push it more towards that direction, i do need to tone down my colors...haha