Home Artists Looking For Work

Question on pricing for texture work

Hey everyone,

I'm an aspiring android developer working on a 3d game. I'm currently a one man show (3d modeler, designer, programmer, etc...) and things are actually coming along quite nicely, save for one main area... texture work. In short, I'm terrible at it and I'm finding it difficult to learn yet another new skill with so much else going on, not to mention keeping up with a regular job and family. I'm spending some time with GIMP and having very minor success with some very simple colors and textures, but it's still pretty bad. I'm in awe at just how much a good texture can do for a low poly model, and I'm not even close...

If already provided an image with UV's, what would a reasonable price be for texture work, namely just a color texture, no normal, specular or defuse. I'm not looking for anything spectacular, just decent enough to look good on a mobile device. Also, is it at all normal for an artist to join onto a project for a percentage of profits, i.e. with no money up front? I quite understand that sounds riskier, but I'm curious if those kinds of deals are ever struck and how they would work.

Thanks polycounters,

Replies