Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character - Guard

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
davarb polycounter lvl 8
Hi!

This is my last 3d image, a videogame character based on Jan Ditlev artwork.

Model, render and lighting in Softimage, sculpting and texturing in ZBrush, retopo in Topogun, composition in Fusion and final touches in Photoshop.

finalrv.th.jpg
posesm.th.jpg

Breakdown and wires...
evolucion.th.jpg
highzc.th.jpg
cuerpowire.th.jpg
cabezawire.th.jpg

Lighting setup...
luceso.th.jpg

Textures...
texturascabeza.th.jpg
texturascuerpo.th.jpg

Turntable:

http://www.vimeo.com/12948449

Hope you like it!

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Overall, a well executed model. The final shots look good, and the turnaround is great. I'd be interested in seeing how the model appears in a real-time engine though- particularly how the soft alpha sorting would look in the hair.

I'm kind of surprised that the model seems to be unmirrored given the symmetrical design, but maybe you were aiming for a higher end result than what I'm used to :).

Definitely a nice portfolio piece.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work. I like that breakdown picture.
  • davarb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    davarb polycounter lvl 8

I've already tried to import in UE3 but I didn't like the results, of course because of my lack of experience with the engine. So, if there is someone in the forum who has experience with it I wouldn't mind to send him/her the model with the textures.

The hair in UE3 looks fine, but when I tried in different 3d programs viewports it's a headache because of the culling.

About the synmetry question, I must say that I really like giving to any of my works asymmetry, but when I did reotpology it was a little bit harder than usual.

Greetings.
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    cool i like it
  • davarb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    davarb polycounter lvl 8
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah nice stuff. Really like the sculpt. Follows the concept nicely.I think his shoulders droop too much though.

You should definitely invest time/effort into getting familiar with Unreal (or any other engine for that matter).

Cheers!
  • davarb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    davarb polycounter lvl 8
    Thx butt_sahib :).

When I was sculpting I noticed that in the shoulders, and once I'd done the retoplogy I fixed it in the lowpoly model.
    I'll try to spend some time learning UE3 engine, I think the most important part is the lighting with this engine. Lot of things to learn :poly008:!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Your model looks great! But you could get away with removing some more polygons. 21K is way too much for a model like this and from what I see on your wireframe there are alot of edges that don't affect the sillouette as much as one would think. The pads on the knees is a pretty good example. From what I can tell by the pictures the pads look like they are made of a pretty hard material and can't bend easily so you won't have to worry about the skinning there, you can easily remove alot of the horizontal edge loops.
    I don't know if you're using maya or max but you can turn on high quality rendering in maya in order to see the changes in the normal and diffuse textures(uv's really). For max you could use the 3point shader for real time normal maps in the viewport.
    Good luck!