Home Unreal Engine

My First Map, Just for Fun

Hello everyone,

I'm Videshi, and I'm pretty new to the UDK, but I've been working with it for about 2-3 weeks now on Mondays, and occasional evenings. I'm a 3d animator (Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop kinda guy) and I thought it would be fun to make a quick environment. It would give me some overall practice and I'd be done it in a day, right?

Well, it turns out I went kind of crazy when I re-discovered how much fun mapping is. It was just supposed to be the inside of this big hollow mushroom, but I ended up going kind of nuts on it and it's turning out to be a pretty fun level.

There are a lot (a lot!) of errors, texture maps that could be re-sized, static meshes that could use some tweaking... but I think it's time to call this one done and continue planning my next map. Now that I know how addictive this is I'm actually going to try making something much more professional!

Here are some shots:

Outside.jpg

InsideTunnel.jpg

InsideTop.jpg

Inside2.jpg

Basically it's a giant mushroom on a hill. The mushroom is surrounded by a "moat" of painful gas... but if you're careful, it's worth exploring! The inside of the giant mushroom is hollow, with several floors above the ground floor. You can either take a jump pad up there or go up the spiral-tunnel in the walls, ducking when you reach the incorrectly sized upward ramps that I'm too lazy to fix/remake.

PS: If you're interested in my work you can find more at anivideshi.blogspot.com

You can download this map
here