Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

30 Years Later Scene Update

I know its been a while since i last posted about this scene, i haven't gotten very far since the last post but i did change a few things. I know the main issue was the building, it was just a plain box. Well i scrapped the whole barn and started to make a structure piece by piece. then i added boards and now it looks more barnish than before. I also added some more props, i haven't gotten into adding trees and grass yet. I know the Opel lBlitz truck is pretty bad but i will have to do, i havent modeled cars and trucks really before.

I wish i could texture it and stuff but that will have to wait until i exactly know how to!

Anways, i know this is nothing compared to the other stuff i see on here, which is really good!! But here it is.

-Matt

ylrender17.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

render8.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Replies

• JarlanPerez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep at it dude. There's a lot of good things here especially all the small details. Yea there are things that can be improved upon like the planks leaning on the tank. It is very noticeable that they are the same. Maybe making one or two more variations to break that up a bit.

Texturing is my favorite part of the whole process. That and light can really make or break everything. You can give life to your whole scene. I've seen some insanely low poly stuff look amazing with textures. What exactly are you having issues with? Unwrapping? or just the actual texturing?
  • MattStone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. yeah, i think im going to go back and delete alot of the props and redo them. i feel now i rushed a couple of them.

Im having problems with unwraping, i tried unwrapping, i did it really wrong though, there was like a hundred little boxes for one little face but i tried texturing it and it look decent but the unwrapping is really bad, i dont know how to unwrap for an example a gun. so it had the two sides and then the mag, unsteed of a whoel bunch of randomm boxes and shapes...

I have some models i really want to texture, a racecar, a house and this scene. I know how to texture, just not unwrap..
  • JarlanPerez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of the props you have look good. Some just need a few variants to break up the scene. Ah I see yea unwrapping at first can be the biggest pain. I remember not liking i at first but then after sticking with I found out that a good unwrap makes texturing all the sweeter.

I had some friends that were having unwrapping issue and such and I went ahead and wrote a pretty extensive tutorial to help them out. It for max and deals a lot with hard surfaces which is pretty much the majority of your scene. You can take a look at it and see if it helps. http://jarlanperez.com/?p=870 it seem to help them a lot.
  • MattStone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. Thanks. I'll look at it and try to unwrap an object in my scene and see if it works.
    It looks liek something that will actual help me!
    Thanks for the tutorial and feedback on the scene!

-matt
  • JarlanPerez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem at all. Let me know how it goes and if it help :D