Home Technical Talk

3DS MAX 2010 Select tool

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
I know its a "newbie" question but when I use standart select tool in max 2010 I have to select the whole polygon otherwise it wont let me select it.
Is there any way to change it in to I only need to select a part of an polygon?

best regards

zelly

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    beat me Eric! oh well. :D

select_eg.jpg
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Doesn´t really belong here, but i don´t want to open a new topicfor this.
    Is there a way to get the Raycast selection style like in XSI?
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    If in doubt, F1. IT's among the different selection modes - rectangle, circle, polygon, freehand, paint. Paint is the one closest to what you want I think. Good luck!
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It only works in Vertex Mode, which is not really what i want to have, RayCast Selection is a blessing by XSI but i never could find somthing really similar in max...
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi, I'm not an XSI expert at all, but if you like a raytraced selection mode, you can try IC.Shape selection tools, they are Paint, for selecting and deselecting elements within a defined radius on the surface and Pick for single element and loop/ring selections and deselections.

When using Paint, you can adjust painting gizmo radius holding ctrl+shift and dragging up/down in viewport. As standard, ctrl adds to and alt remove from selection.

When using Pick, you can hold shift and drag to get loop/rings selections in all so-levels. Combinations with ctrl will add to while with alt will remove from selection.

I hope it helps. If you give it a try, please let me know if it is like what you need, because I'm working on a new version and gladly accept any suggestion. Thanks.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx SyncView, didn´t know there was something like that in your tools, i thought it´s the same Paint selection like standart :(
    But it´s almost like i want it :)
    One suggestion would be if i paint select something and release my mousebutton and try to select mor after that it erases the old selection. It would be nice if it was like holding STRG to select more without actually pushing strg.

Hope this was clear enough if not, i can make a little video of what i mean.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hey SpeCter, I'm glad you like it. I guess with "STRG" you mean "CTRL", that's what is needed to trigger "add to current selection". If I get it right you'd like it to be the standard behaviour.

I decided to stick with CTRL to add to and ALT to remove from current selection, and replace the selection if nothing is pressed, because it is the default behaviour of every 3ds Max selection tool, starting from the simple pick element. Introducing some different behaviour for just a tool would cause confusion and require an intellectual action to associate (mental mapping) behaviour and specific instrument. It would be "bad ui design" in other words.

I think you feel the need for it to be additive for the very same reason. I guess you're accustomed to XSI behaviour (is it right?) and it is difficult (requires an intellectual action) to "rewire" the selection logic to the standard 3ds Max behaviour.

Anyway, one of the big features I'd like to introduce in new IC.Shape is the full customization of instruments, internal shortcuts included. So, if everything runs smooth with the development, maybe not from the very first release, because it is quite a task, every user should be able to fine tune the tools to their liking.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Strg = Steuerung = ctrl = control
    all the same
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Preview selection under editable poly works pretty good for emulating raycast. Just hold down control and it'll preview select multiple faces, then click.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for writing STRG instead of CTRL, it´s the german word for CTRL, like renderhjs said.

I´m a 3dsnax User from the start but i try to be able to use other Programs aswell and the RayCast selection of XSI just amazed me.
    I can stick with pushing CTRL for adding to my selection.
    But the paint selection of your tools work like a i want it, so i´m happy with it and i´m looking forward to the newest version.

j_bradford:
    With Preview Selection the Paint Selection of Max works with Polygons.
    You and SyncView are my heroes for this matter(render is my hero because of his textools :) )
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I must say that the out-of-box selection tools in XSI is soooo much better and nicer then Max. I miss them so much, plus the temporary pivot, its great.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    where do i download the IC.Shape tool?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    The author pulled it down to do a re-write. You can find an older version here
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1394521#post1394521
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    McGreed wrote: »
    Yeah, I must say that the out-of-box selection tools in XSI is soooo much better and nicer then Max. I miss them so much, plus the temporary pivot, its great.

necro-quote, but yeah.