Home General Discussion

Polycount News Page Suggestions

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
sorry if this already has a thread, i couldn't find anything.

i've been waiting a bit to see how the new polycount turned out, didn't want to say anything till it got going a bit.

i'll start off by saying i think almost everything posted in the news section is pretty fascinating, and it's a great addition to the forums. that being said, i do think it could be organized slightly better.

i don't know if anybody has a "news site" they check frequently, but i'm slightly embarrassed to say one i frequent and am quite comfortable with is mmo-champion (.com, for the fuckers who don't party in azeroth).

the format pretty much consists of a handful of headline links with the foremost article underneath, (and subsequent articles accessible through clicking their titles). it has always felt really straightforward to me, but that could also be biased in that i've been going to it for quite some time.

the polycount news page just seems sort of rando to me; an occasional picture with really enormous writing leading to an article that i'm never really sure what i just clicked on. if there was just more room for the title to be slightly more descriptive, i think it would make for a lot more accessible of an experience than the 2 rows of boxes.

anyone else slightly uncomfortable navigating the news page or is that just me? also, i'm sure someone could point to a better news page than mmo-champion, that's just one off the top of my head.

Replies

• ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    also inb4 blasphemy
  • Moosey_G
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'll have to agree with you, I'm not sure how much I like the gridded box of news, something more linear would probably cleaner and more user friendly, engadget and joystiq come to mind, title image short text blurb, consistent, clean, easy to read/follow. And they use icons to label what type of news it is.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    mmo-champion.com, not the best example in blog layout. disagree on that one.

bigger more important news gets an image, everything else does not. There's no simpler logic to the design than that. We knew going in that the reaction to this layout would be an uncomfortable one, as its not a typical blog layout. And, while we could have done the same route of something familiar, we chose something that we could easily expand upon.

We're also bigger fans of getting a lot of information without having to vertically navigate the website. This was the biggest element that I had to grow in to, but now that its here I love it.

Perhaps, in the future, we'll update things. But for now, thats our design here at Polycount. You should click around, there's lots of awesome information held within.

I'll go ahead and close this thread, as the other one Moosey_G linked to is a better spot for this discussion.
This discussion has been closed.