Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mantor the Hunter

bludragon
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
bludragon polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys! I would like to share a current character that I'm workin on, and recieve some feedback from the brilliant game artists on this forum...so sit back, relax and watch as I struggle through this process of creating my first final game character from start to finish.

His name is Mantor, and he's a Native hunter lurking the spiritual forests of time.

Here's the high poly;

mantorWIP4.jpg

Im going to tweak the shapes further since this was a fairly old sculpt that I am re-visiting and tweaking to the final stage.

What the normals look like so far;

mantorWIP5.jpg

Already retopod, heres some wires of the face
mantorWire.jpg

For the final pose im thinking of having him in an archer position, holding a bow and arrow in his hand ready to shoot

mantorposeWip.jpg

This is by far not what the final pose will look like, just a sketch of the general idea of how he will be aiming, still have to tweak the hands alot more

Any Crits to improve this would be great.

Replies

• bludragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZBrushDocument-1.jpg

I worked on the shapes a bit more of the body, made the arms smaller since someone suggested they looked like monkey armslol, and worked more on the back and face details, Ill be adding more wrinkles and then working on the accesories, I should be finished the high poly tonight, then its off to normal mapping! muhaha
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    hey looks cool dude. I would look a bit more into defining the anatomy. Especially the back muscles look a bit random to me. Same goes with the mouth. I have the feeling he should be more supported by some flesh / folds around him. Have a look at the musculature around the mouth region.
  • bludragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an update, I started normal mapping, but Im having some issues

mantorNormalsWIP2.jpg
    mantorNormalsback.jpg
    mantor_skulls.jpg

So heres the problem that Im having with the normals of this body. It looks like there are certian parts that look to be flipped like the face compared to the body.

mantor_regNormals.jpg

And in this one I flipped the X and Y axis in the channel settings and the face looks much better but the body is inward?

mantor_flippedNormals.jpg

Does anyone know why this happens, is it my Uvs that are causing this? I checked to see if the uvs were flipped or not but they looked perfectly fine.

Also the head uvs are divided into different chunks from the body, and i used xnormal to generate...
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    looks like one of your color channels are inverted in your normal map...if you are rendering in MAX its usually the green channel ..you can just invert it in photoshop..or set you Y tangent to -Y in Xnormal...cool model

edit

duh......I guess I should have read your whole post...what are you using to render?
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    low odor wrote: »
    l.you can just invert it in photoshop..

Did you render out the whole normal map at once? or did you mash different chucks together? If its the later, invert that particular chuck and not flipping the channels in the shader
  • bludragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thats what caused this, I prob. flipped the Y in xnormal, but I did render the whole body at once, so I dont understand how the face can get flipped since they are in the same uvs.

But thanks low odor! Thats the solution I was looking for, I inverted in photoshop and now it looks normal...