Home General Discussion

Budget 2010: Video games tax credits scrapped

Budget 2010: Video games tax credits scrapped

In his emergency budget the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, has said that the Coalition Government has no plans to introduce tax breaks for the video games industry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/7846764/Budget-2010-Video-games-tax-credits-scrapped.html

====

Thank you Mr Osbourne, for going back on election promises. Particularly ones that will lose jobs, and the country money in the long run, you utter idiot.

The same of course could be said that film/music industry tax breaks are unrequired, as they make less than the 1 billion that the British economy benefits from the Game Industry. Funnily enough, they retain theirs.

Well, thats just made me incredibly frustrated.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    seesm I was right when I posted in the other thread
    It all depends as the tories will have to make swinging cuts to get us out of our current debt situation, so i hope this isn't the first casualty.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Squiggers wrote: »
    Thank you Mr Osbourne, for going back on election promises. Particularly ones that will lose jobs, and the country money in the long run, you utter idiot.

wasn't that whole thing on labour's agenda in the first place?
    in any case i'd have doubts about election promises in general. post-election, in particular.

i recall the soho-based vfx/film business said to be very very dependant on their subsidies which were in danger to vanish about one or two years ago (?).
    to the point where if these were to go away, the shops would pack up and move to wherever better business were to be had. seems quite dangerous and not a long term strategy to found your business model on government subsidies. then again, film must be quite good at lobbying compared to games, heh. :)
  • Squiggers
    Woop, can someone close the thread then? Hadn't spotted the other one. :P

And you know.. living off government - either via working for them, or benefits - accounts for 50% of the population. Thank you Liebour.