Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Imperial Agent Rifle

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 17
Here's a little project ive wanted to do for some time now. Now that i actually have the time i figure i may as well get it done. Concept is from Star Wars The Old Republic. Hoping to have this high poly and low poly done by monday, but who knows. Will post progress. Here's what i did yesterday. :D

CONCEPT!:
Gun.jpg

My Progress:
rifle01.jpg

will have more posted tonight or tomorrow morning.

Replies

• dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    it looks pretty cool, is it just me or does the trigger look a bit to far forward? looks like u wouldn't be able to reach it unless you had really long fingers
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    How do you hold this? It looks like it would have a very long barrel sticking out if the perforated cylinder is the forward grip, and the blue-ish cylinder doesn't look comfortable to hold.

Or is this a mounted machinegun or a sniper rifle?
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    The long ellipses at the front look as if they could be widened a bit, vertically. Depending how close you are trying to stay to the concept.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dansher: yeah ill probably end up moving the trigger further back. thx

@snader: i was wondering that myself. I had thought the perforated cylinder would be the grip, but then again im not entirely sure what its use is. Im actually still unsure if this would be a long range sniper class rifle, or a mid-long range assault rifle. I would imagine the other hand would go on the blue cylinder, but that part im unsure about right now.

@dismembered: im trying to stay as close as possible to the concept, however there is a bit of a scaling issue with these cylinders.. in 3d they would have to be elongated on the Y axis in order to fit the shape of the concept. i had to compensate some of the scale for accuracy to a round cylinder.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's today's progress. Im having a lot of fun on this. For my first gun i think its coming along rather well at this point. I just gotta keep at it. :D

rifle04.jpg
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good. You were right in thinking that the perforated barrel is the grip by the way. Imperial Agents are assassin/infiltration experts, so they use long range combat to deal with their opponents. As such, most of their weapons mirror it.

Keep it up!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been a few days since ive worked on this. been on vacation so i try to get in as much time as i can while still trying to enjoy my time off. here's an update.

rifle06.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright here's my latest. i forgot about the trigger so ill have to go back and add that but i think its pretty safe to say that the high poly is done. ive noticed a few pinching issues from before, some ive gone back and fixed, others ill just deal with when i bake my maps. all in all, i think im ready to start on the lp.

rifle10.jpg
    rifle10-2.jpg
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Great job, the model looks very clean and accurate to the concept. Would like to see some wires of the model.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah my computer crashed when trying to render the wires out (i was using that neat mental ray shader), and it was late so i figured id do it another time. but anyway, the low poly is finished, so ill show u wires for that. if u would still like to see wires of the high poly let me know. :D

Finished High
    rifle11.jpg

Finished Low:
    rifle-lp01.jpg
  • JarlanPerez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great looking model. Very clean. I agree about it being a bit weird to hold. It looks like it could work great for a long range weapon like ones that put on the little stands. Anyways great work. Looking forward to seeing this textured out :D
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as per many requests, i broke it down a bit more. still holds pretty much the same silhouette, so hopefully this can work. 4.8k tris :D

rifle_lp02.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bake is done. :D only had some minor issues but fixed them easily. :D on to texturing.

rifle-lp02.jpg
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    looking nice, quite insperational. might try to do something like this of my own soon.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    This looks really good, I can see a lot of effort went into this and it paid off. Once it's textured it should be amazing and maybe help bring out the normals some more, make them pop
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some in-game shots from udk. the texture on the gun is just from a quick color bake with AO.. no painting just yet. just wanted to show some 1st and 3d person views. skeleton for udk needs adjusting for hand positions, but that can be dealt with later.

here's the shots.

rifle-udk-1p.jpg
    rifle-udk-3p.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    textured. im still a bit unsure about some areas, but id like to get some feedback. let me know what u think.

3ds max viewport grab.
    rifle_final.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I really like this gun.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Looks off the hook man! One thing i would prefer though is if it had the magazine longer and a ring arround the trigger.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks. the magazine could in fact be longer as it actually goes up to about the lower part of the green ring. ill see how it looks with it pulled down a little more. im actually not TOO thrilled how the texture came out, so im doing it again for the 3rd time.. this time taking away most of the grungy splotches and just trying to achieve a nice cleanly oiled (if that makes sense) hand painted look.