Home Technical Talk

Keep your faces planar?

Burtzum
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Burtzum polycounter lvl 15
I read somewhere that you want to keep your quads planar for game models or else it won't render right in a game engine. Is this true? It seems impossible. It would rule out vertex positioning by hand, as soon as you push a vertex around a quad is "broken" into two triangles. Also, if its going into a game everything is being broken down into triangles anyway right? Have I misunderstood what it means to keep your faces planar?

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    nah its just that if you do strongly twisted quads, on export they can very easily be triangulated in the other way that what you had in mind.

If I leave quads in, I personally always go over the most important areas of my models, face by face, and run a make planer script each time. It makes for very elegant meshes.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There is no need to keep faces planar. Everything becomes triangles in-game anyway.

As Pior said, the only reason you might want to watch out is if you have a quad (or n-sided polygon) that is far from planar, since then you might not be aware of how it will triangulate on export, and things may end up looking bad. This is a fairly rare case in my experience, though, and one which is easily noticed and solved.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    there are a few engines which deal with n-gones and in this case you should triangulate all non coplanar n-gones or make them planar. This is used for lowspec stuff like engines for the web
  • Burtzum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burtzum polycounter lvl 15
    Alright thanks for the replies guys. Clears things up!