Home Technical Talk

Learning Zbrush

Ok, so I just got zbrush last night, and its amazing, I absolutely love it. However, I sorta suck :P. I am modeling a face to start my learning process. So far I got the basic shape pretty nice I think, but its not quite the style I would like, so I was wondering if any one could help. This is what I have so far.

zbrush%20face.png

And this is the style I want to try to make it more like, by felipefrango
otitec.jpg

Basically I would like to learn the technique of making those nice creases.

Replies

• A_Nub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I understand the practice :P

Here's some more work on it. I think im addicted to this program hahaha.

zbrush%20face%20-%203.png

Maybe I should model in some eyes, that could be one reason it looks odd.

Cleaned up some messy strokes and changed to a skin shader.

zbrush%20face%20-%205.png
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you'ze trollin rite?

I suggest you look at study on proper anatomy and try not to add all that unnecessary detail until after you've got the main shape down.
  • A_Nub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I am seriously not trolling. I seriously picked up zbrush last night. The only other app I have used is blender, and I am horrible at that, heck I can't even paint. I am semi decent around photoshop but I can't draw :/. This my second try at zbrush, and I am soo stoked at being able to make this, but I just feel my models need alot more work. I have only tried heads so far, I am almost afraid to go further and try a full body or anything else.

@anatomy, I meant for him to be slightly cartoony, so I am still not sure if that is valid, but I am open to suggestions.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    I draw in my spare time, however for zbrush sculpts I guess you can get away with it, however I'm sure it helps. However you do want to learn the basics of proportion. I suggest atleast reading a book on facial structure, eg. Andrew Loomis - http://www.scribd.com/doc/501782/Andrew-Loomis-Drawing-the-Head-and-Hands

Keep practicing, I suggest getting proper face reference, front and side, for scultping a face, before beginning to put your own twist on it. It is boring if you love that comical style, but worth doing the boring stuff first.

Just keep at it, as Moosey said, you want to get the general structure down before adding detail - applies to everything!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    just spend more time with the app., it might take several months of daily intense use to be able to do what you would like to do already now.

I am always obsessive about the things I want to learn or I am learning so I search for many variations on Google. Browse through the official help files and anything else I can get my hands on (including people I know that know what I need to know).
  • A_Nub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips, and I will do.

@Snow, I just looks through that pdf real quick and it looks great, when I get time ill need to read it.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Basically I would like to learn the technique of making those nice creases.
    Probably dam_standard brush. It's in the Lightbox. One of these videos show it being put to good use (I forget which part) http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/tutorial.php?lesson=nomorewine
    I am almost afraid to go further and try a full body or anything else.
    You could try working with Super Average Man, or another basemesh. There are a few hosted on Polycount's wiki:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/Digital%20Sculpting#Base_Meshes
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    pen
    and
    paper

I mean seriously. At this point its not about 'sucking at Zbrush', its about you forming a precise idea of the sculpture you want to achieve, and then realizing that idea in sculpt form. There is no such thing as doodling at random and BAM it magically looks good (to do that one needs an established visual library in mind, which does not seem to be the case here. Its okay to not have that, it comes with time.)

So yeah there's no trick to all this. Just draw your concept or pick references, then work on it. Fail. Do it again. Fail. Do it again. And then one day itll work, because along the path you pick up on past failures and start learning what works.

(I dont want to sound harsh, but whats with those threads lately? It's great to be starting out... but I think its important to really involve oneself into a discipline for at least a few weeks and find what works and what doesnt before posting stuff and asking for advice ... dunno ...)

Technically, you dont need anything else than what you have right now, in order to do kickass sculpts. You just need to work on your form knowledge, the structural anatomy of faces, all that. It has nothing to do with Zbrush, its just all about traditional art skills.

Good luck!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Pior's right. I've only just started any work with Zbrush/Mudbox, and it's been extremely easy for me so far, almost effortless. But only because I've spent years trying to capture forms in drawings and paintings.

Especially when you're dealing with the super tricky, detailed ways that a face is put together, you're only going to get there with study and practice. That doesn't mean you need to stop on ZBrush now, but it's not about learning the program, it's about learning art. And doing art is building, refining your perception.

Once you see, you can replicate, you can have great control over what now seems extremely difficult. You look at your head and look at the head you want it to look like and you say "why can't I get my head to look like that?" You know enough to say it doesn't look the same, but your perception hasn't honed to the point where you can just go on for hours talking about all the little minute surface changes and form and scale and proportions that are different.

You'll get there, promise, if you work at it. Build your abilities, hone your perception. Work from reference, do master studies. Take figure drawing classes. Being an artist is about a fundamentally altered mode of perception--you see things in ways other people do not.
  • A_Nub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I have been trying to get into art for the past 2 years, I have taken multiple classes and I doodle constantly, but I just can't draw. I don't know what it is, I have great concepts in my head I just can't get them onto paper no matter how hard or long I try :/ But I supposed I will keep trying. Another thing is I come from a programming background, so I look at art differently I suppose, I seem to overcomplicate it I guess. Well, practice practice practice I go.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You are talking about two different things :
    I have great concepts in my head I just can't get them onto paper no matter how hard or long I try

is very a very different from
    I have taken multiple classes and I doodle constantly, but I just can't draw.

I would guess that these classes were not correctly taught. (I have been to a few like those, where the teacher just lets everybody do whatever they want. Good for personal research, but so not good for foundation building). You dont need to 'know how to draw' in order to learn, say, the structure of the face. As a matter of fact, being a programmer should give you a great edge compared to say, artsy fartsy types never getting better because their moms tell them they re so good :P You are trained to deconstruct things into simple problems - thats exactly what successful art is about...

Pick up a sketchpad and practice simple volumes. Cubes, cylinders, cones, spheres in perspective.
    Do yourself a favor and buy : Constructive Anatomy by Bridgman (structural drawings of the human body), and Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblet (nicely lit pictures of lean, fit bodies). Compare how the same thing is portrayed in both. Then make your own sauce out of it (dont bother with smudgy shadow shading shit. Just lines, and strong black/white contrast for shadows, nothing inbetween)

As for portraying concept art from your head to paper. This also doesnt come out of nowhere. The brain is great as working with barely roughed out ideas, but paper doesnt allow that :P Everybody can imagine a kickass fire-breathing dragon playing metallica on top of a Volcano on Mars (I quite like the image myself) but only a few can portray it.

Why?

Because to do so, you need to learn how reptilians are structured, their anatomy, their typical poses and so on. Then you need to learn the visual vocabulary of electric guitars. How to stylize them. Researching on typical Metal fans outfits and gear would be a good idea too. Then you need to look at National geographic pictures of Volcanos, and learn what makes them cool.

So, for every original concept that seems 'already formed in the head', theres is reearch to do and things to get familiar with before putting it on paper. Great concept artists either have alot of these things in their head already (fantasy artists know dragons and reptilians well so they can skip that part), or, they are very good at finding the necessary info that they lack.

On the other side of the spectrum, you have people who always end up drawing the same thing over and over again because thats 'what they are good at'. Those usually consider that they 'know how to draw', but never progress and get surpassed by more dynamic artists very quickly.

Good luck! Its fun to do.
  • A_Nub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info, yeah the classes did sorta suck, the teacher made examples and we had do make something similar, but our own, was quite bad now that I look back. Although one of the teachers did help me learn shading a bit, so that wasn't too bad.

As for breaking art down into smaller problems, I never have really taken this approach which is probably my biggest problem, I am one of those kids that tries to draw the outline first, yeah horrid right? I think I'ts time to grab a new pad of paper and start over with the basics, Thanks a lot man.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior that's an excellent post.