Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Protagonist for UDK game

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
movento polycounter lvl 17
Hello people,

I'm currently working on the main character for an UDK FPS game in development. The character is a painter that is around his mid 40's. I made a concept first.(The hair will be a bit different on the model,more like Bruce Willis in Die Hard)
2wohjzb.jpg
and now i am working on the highpoly mesh. I am looking for crits about the anatomy and folds of the clothes.
ekggtd.jpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice Start man!
    Here are the things I notice at this point:
    -the thumbs are too long and oddly shaped.
    -Folds look decent to me, but I think they need more direction. Is his shirt tucked in, or partially tucked? Where is the stress coming from, and where would it likely be in-game (whats his nuetral pose in-game). I think to have really good wrinkles you need to have a plan of attack is all, so they make sense. Its too early to tell if you have taken these things into consideration which is why I mention.
    -The Bicep insertion point by the forearm is wrong. I see this all the time actually. There is a small gap between the bicep and forarm. It doesn't just end like that.
    -The head of the rear delt looks really weird from the back view. I would smooth that out so you just see the seperation from the front, side, and rear delt (3) major muscles on the deltoid.
    -His waist looks a little too low to me. If his hands are at his side, his fingertips should be at mid thigh level.

For the most part these are minor things, and it looks like you have a really good start here. Can't wait to see more!
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment,Brad.
    His shirt is tucked in on the front.I changed the folds a bit according to that.
    I feel that the back of the shirt hanging out doesn't look good.
    I also tried to fix the other things you mentioned. I hope it turned out ok.
    2u40q4m.jpg
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biceps are kinda big... the forearms could use a bit of tweaking, along with the hands.
    Back of the head could use some improving too.
    I also think the waist is a biiit low.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    About your character's choice of clothing: If he's a painter, give him clothes that make him look like a painter. Right now he's sort of an average Joe wearing a wife-beater.If he's a interior or exterior house painter, give him overalls and a hat or something. If he's a fine artist and works on canvas a lot, give him an apron. If you go with an apron, when the time comes to give it a texture, you can put paint smudges all over it to make it look used.
  • Parkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    He is a Interior/exterior painter. We thought of giving him an overall but decided to go with painter/carpenter pants and a wife beater. If it was important that you noticed that he was a painter right away we would probably have gone with the overall idea. In real life I think most if not all the painters I have seen have actually been wearing those kind of pants and some form of shirt (usually not a wife beater though) actually so I don't think it's an unreasonable outfit, just not as "iconic" as the overall.

The colour smudges is a good idea and could work for an interior/exterior painter as well as long as it's not to overdone. It's not visible in the concept but he will have some painters tools hanging from the belt as well.

I could post the whole idea about the character tomorrow if people are interested.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I feel like he's too generic to be a protagonist, he needs to spend some more time in the concept stage of development. He doesn't look like a painter to me, not at first sight. Looking forward to more progress though, you've got a nice start on the sculpt there :)
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update.
    jgtjk2.jpg
    I started retopo'ing the head and did a test bake of the head.
    n2xu28.jpg
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on this,here's a screensgrab from UDK.
    2znyjae.jpg
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cloth all looks really good accept the back of the shirt. It looks almost pointed.