botchiball polycounter lvl 8
Final images of the Bar-B-Spenser.

finalimages.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Replies

• botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    It occurred to me recently that "10,000" polygons actually means 10,000 triangles. Which may seem obvious to the rest of you, but I've been working in Maya lately where faces consist of two triangles (or should). And since there are still pieces which need modeling, I will have to start cutting out less important details. For example, the useless pedal, some of the radio dials/detail of the speakers, complexity of the grill, etc. Actually my plan is to keep going with this model until I'm finished building the "overall build model", so that I can start cutting pieces out for the different levels. Any suggestions are appreciated as well.

Enjoy : ).

Compiling Previous Threads: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1161712#post1161712
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1158794#post1158794
  • Khthon
    Gotta hurry man, so little time. Hope you can animate and texture as well as model!
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    Gotta hurry man, so little time. Hope you can animate and texture as well as model!

Hehe, I can, but I think I'm only going to get to texturing this beast. Trying to finish up the modeling and UV's by monday night so I can have the week to texture. Thanks for taking a look : ).
  • Buck
    Looks good but I don't think you will be able to fit the deadline now >:( So few engineer building replacements here :|
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    Buck wrote: »
    Looks good but I don't think you will be able to fit the deadline now >:( So few engineer building replacements here :|

Hopefully I can : /, but I'm kinda having the same feeling. Thanks for checkin it out Buck : ).

Modeling is completed now unless there are any suggestions, UV's are all unwrapped, but are still in the process of being organized. I should be able to get done with them, but textures are lookin' iffy.. we'll see. Thanks for those of you stopping by, and here's some more eye candy:

barbspencerv3.jpg

Again changed a few things, tried to tie back into the original dispenser a little more with the buttons and adding some "Provisions" signs. The Tri's say 9500, but thats not including what isn't seen; I'm actually at 9967 - so polys aren't a problem any longer, though the edgeflow is definitely going wanting.
  • Buck
    lold at the chicken
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, UV's completed, starting texturing.

barbspencerunwrapped.jpg
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    I wont throw up all of my work process, but this looked cool enough that I figured I should:

occlusionrender.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Khthon
    Man I hope you complete in time, reminds me of the fake engy update chicken bot.
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, just some texture work:
    barbspencerscreen3.jpg

I know the texture is horrible, still working on it. Any suggestions to make it better would be appreciated.

The "provisions" and the buttons are a strait rip off the original and the "blu" decal is mostly a rip. I had to extend the decal to cross over the seam, so I went ahead and changed the overall shape to make it more visually appealing.
  • StickFigs
    Offline / Send Message
    StickFigs polycounter lvl 6
    That's awesome.
  • Khthon
    The meat texture looks nicely done, close up shots of parts?

Also, are you going to add a red glow effect to the grill part?
  • Dr. Waldo Fehr
    Texture is coming along just fine.
    TIP: Don't try to out-do the ingame textures, but a tossup between the two will make for a perfect item. Hence why the texturework for the homewrecker is so revered.
  • Ikimono
    botchiball wrote: »
    barbspencerscreen3.jpg

I spy Full Sail checker patterns..
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    your off to a good start. maybe add a label to the bbq bottle? finish her up!
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for checkin out my grill folks : ). Khthon, here are your close ups:
    barbspencerv4.jpg

Dr. Waldo Fehr, thank you for the tip : ). I don't think I'll reach "Homewrecker status", but I do need to quit being so frustrated with my texturing. Its causing me to fret about how bad it is rather than getting finished.

duoxan - right on, it was just on the way ; ).

Texturing is pretty much completed now except for the screen.. I really don't like it - in fact I have major problems with the entire model, but I'm set on finishing it rather than scrapping it (even though the delete key is mocking me). Oh, and I have to make up a red version still - but that shouldn't be too hard.

More head nods: ripped the "Bonk" and "xXx" labels off of TF2Wiki and in game label. The "Blue Streak" label was made by me, but is essentially a copy off of the bottle from "Meet the Engineer".
  • Simski
    Can you make it so the Tank on the side is the same as the one Pyro wears on his back :O?

Ps. I don't think the Red bottle fits well in the BLU dispenser.
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    Can you make it so the Tank on the side is the same as the one Pyro wears on his back :O?

Ps. I don't think the Red bottle fits well in the BLU dispenser.

Hmm, I wish I'd thought of that before.. its too late to correct at this point sadly, but that would have been a nice tie in. Which red bottle are you talking about, the Bonk or the BBQ bottle?
  • Khthon
    So going to finish and submit after the contest?
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    So going to finish and submit after the contest?

Nope, its already turned in. Final render at the top of the page.
  • treythepunkid
    Wow man, loving this thing to death! Funny thing is this dispenser reminds of a hat i was working on awhile ago.

engigrillhat05.png

Of course i ran into some scaling troubles..

Any who this thing is kick ass and am almost positive this will get into the game some how. It just looks so right!
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow man, loving this thing to death! Funny thing is this dispenser reminds of a hat i was working on awhile ago.

engigrillhat05.png

Of course i ran into some scaling troubles..

Any who this thing is kick ass and am almost positive this will get into the game some how. It just looks so right!

lol, Thats awesome! It does look like it needs some work to finish it out though. Maybe you could bend the legs into a ring which sits around his head. haha, There would also be an issue with heat and ashes - maybe you could throw in an ash catcher. Thanks for checking mine out : ).
  • Khthon
    Did you downsize the texture to fit the limit from a higher quality one? If so I suggest you still submit the larger one, Valve has been choosing better looking over less resources lately.
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you downsize the texture to fit the limit from a higher quality one? If so I suggest you still submit the larger one, Valve has been choosing better looking over less resources lately.

Huh.. I didn't know you could.. Well, am I allowed to resubmit the texture after the deadline? Or would it be better to just wait and see if they contact me or something? I made my originals as 1024x, though I think the 512's almost look better, lol. I'm definitely not good at texturing yet - I should actually be learning textures some over this next month of school.
  • Simski
    botchiball wrote: »
    Hmm, I wish I'd thought of that before.. its too late to correct at this point sadly, but that would have been a nice tie in. Which red bottle are you talking about, the Bonk or the BBQ bottle?
    Oh... sorry for late reply...
    The Bonk Bottle.

Also... a shame you can't edit anything now :(

Oh well... this is probably my favorite building entry so far though :P
    If it gets picked, you can probably submit some better textures later and things.
  • Khthon
    Most definitely submit the bigger texture as an 'alternate' to the Contribute page for your model! I predict if they choose between them they'll choose prettier, no doubt.

Good luck!
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    Most definitely submit the bigger texture as an 'alternate' to the Contribute page for your model! I predict if they choose between them they'll choose prettier, no doubt.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip, I'll send that off : ).