Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first sculpted model, generic male

Allright, first let me say hi... it's my first post in YEARS and i don't think anyone will remember me.

back then i was still very young and never really got any great models. now about a month ago i decided to give it a try again and downloaded blender.. then after experimenting with a few models and coming back here i learned about sculptris which i tried yesterday.

i'm quite amazed with what i managed to squeeze out of it even without a reference, so i decided to come here to have my ego shattered and rearranged in the right way.

i'm quite happy with the face so far.. tho something is wrong and i can't put my finger on it.

i would appreciate some crits n hints.

oh and i'm having a hard time with the ears.. is there a good way to smooth things out without making them thinner at the same time? also i keep cutting into the backside of the ears to increase the distance between head and ears a little.. but then the mesh gets wrinkled and twisted in odd ways and i have to use smooth, which then closes the gap i just made almost as much as i dug in.

so far i have mostly used the draw, grab and smooth tools... bit of scaling and rarely flatten...

here are some pics:

malesculpt07.jpg

malesculpt06.jpg

malesculpt04.jpg

malesculpt02.jpg

malesculpt01.jpg

Replies

• AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    I believe your eyelids are reversed in the sense that the majority of the curvature is next to the nose.

And isn't Sculptris great? Keep it up, man.
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    i don't mean to alarm you or anything but he doesn't have any lower arms
  • attattattack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    attattattack polycounter lvl 8
    I think the proportion is what throw it off.
    You just need to look at more refs and more practice, good work for the first sculpt.
    Much better than my first ; )
  • MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allright i did the rest of the model, and made a female version of it.
    there are still some issues with the feet, the hands are the same on both models.. i guess the male hands should be made a little wider and thicker... and the ankles should be slimmer on both models

before i continue adding more detail to the models, i'd like to get some crits on the overall proportions. an overpaint would be very helpful.

AsaNYC : yea i love it =D
    i'm not entirely sure i understand what you mean about the curvature of the eyes. do you think the part closer to the nose should be dragged down a bit?

dansher: d'oh

attattattack: yea i know it's far from perfect.. however could you please be a bit more precise as to what's throwing it off the most? when spending so much time working on a model its often hard to see the mistakes you made yourself...
    i'm glad you think i'm off to a good start, thx =)

EDIT: and yeah.. i need help with the female face... something is terribly wrong with it, but again, i can't quite put my finger on it.
    EDIT2: some pics got removed

male04.jpgmale03.jpgmale02.jpgmale01.jpg
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Good stuff. For the female head the top of the skull looks too high. The lips too wide, large.

The ears look a bit too flimsy and thin. The position of the ear, should generally line up with the bottom of the nose and the eye, or at the most no lower than top lip and not too much higher than the eye.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    They are looking nice, but their head, neck and foot are too big if they are taller than 1,50m :P

Look some proportions images:

2445jjm.jpg
  • MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allright i spent quite some time optimising the face.. i think it looks alot better now..
    obviously the eyes are only half finished... but i really need a break now.

thx for your tips calabi

fabio brasilien: excellent! thats what i was looking for.
    the next update should hopefully have the proportions fixed.
    thx!

femaleface02.jpgfemaleface01.jpgfemale02.jpgfemale01.jpg
  • n88tr
  • attattattack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    attattattack polycounter lvl 8
    I was going to say the head hand and feet are too big, but Fabio already pointed that out.

I'm not expert on anatomy but here's what I think.
    For the face the head is too tall, the eyes are too big and too wide apart.
    The distance of the eyes should be roughly be a length of one eye.
  • MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so i haven't had access to the internet for 3 weeks... time to post an update.

thank you all for your criticism, it has helped me a great deal.

in addition to the hi poly models i have now created normal mapped low poly models.

the female model contains nudity

genericmale01.jpggenericmale02.jpggenericfemale01.jpggenericfemale02.jpggenericmalelowpolynorma.jpg
    genericfemalelowpolynor.jpg

EDIT: things i just noticed myself:

the ears need to be pulled forward a little, the arms are a little too short, the female forehead is still a bit too large and the male elbow needs to be pulled up.
    the hands are too slim and too long.

anything else?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    The proportions of your characters(especially the female) are still a bit odd. I think you should take another look at a proportion reference and do the changes after that. The hands of the female are for example too big for a female and the legs of both models are too short, making them look like midgets.
    Your progress is good otherwise, keep it up!
  • MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm i tried to go for more realistic proportions.. the legs are often made a bit longer on comic-super hero proportions which are commonly used in games (i think) so i'd say that the legs should only be stretched a tiiiiny bit. you're definately right about the hands, especially on the female.. as it is they are quite long and thin.. kinda alien looking.

i'll look into that tomorrow, and raise up her eyes a little... that should help make the head less egg shaped.

EDIT: allright i went ahead and did a quick fix right away.
    is this looking any better?
    genericfemale03.jpg
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Yes, much better. The fet could use a bit of shrinking as well.
    I think this model is great for a first sculpted model. I guess you've never done any realistic human models before?
  • MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i have done a few models before, but most of that was years ago.. back then i did a couple of low poly models i'd say about 5-6, most of them were really bad, the last one looked ok. those were done in 3dsmax when i had the chance to use it. a few weeks ago i started using blender, i modeled about 3 models before i discovered sculptris and created the ones you can see here. so i have done some models before, i just never used the sculpting tools.

other than that i have also been working on some weapon models
    heres an example of what i'm working on right now

colt191102.jpg
    colt191103.jpg

i'm doing these for a small educational 3rd person game project i'm working on.
    so once i get the poportions sorted out, added some finger/toenails hair and clothing, and added some more functions to the game (currently it's just walking/running/jumping/shooting and physics with the male model and the gun)
    i'll compile and upload the thing for review.

i'm using the blender game engine btw

so far i only have a little experience in modeling and animating, so it's gonna take a while till i get there.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Well, it's pretty good for someone who hasn't done an awful lot of modelling.
    Your gun looks good but the lighting in your scene makes it hard to see the details. It's too bright from one side and too dark from another.
  • MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mmyea i was experimenting with lighting and material settings to make a plain model look a bit more interesting, guess i overdid it a little heh.

well no matter.. the gun i don't really need much help with right now... i just downloaded a ton of new reference pics and i will upload a new pic once i have put more details in.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Earlier you posted a side-view of the woman, I feel like her collar bone is a bit off.
  • MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm true.. something isn't right there.. i can't put my finger on it tho.. i'll have to look for some ref pics
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like it's not really the right shape, running more or less straight across the torso instead of curving around to link on to the top of the shoulder. Grab yourself some skeletal and muscular reference of the shoulder area