Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wolfbayne: Orc Deathknight

Here's my go at an Orc Deathknight. I'm calling the armor the "Blood Crown" set seeing as most of my inspiration came from icecrown gargoyles and blood-tanks. Questions, comments, and crits please!

371088_1276883779_large.jpg

371088_1276883702_large.jpg

Replies

• ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    SWEET.
    \
    he needs some horde ladies "hanging" around.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice!

Awesome texture work. Only thing I would suggest is try pushing the blue and purple a little more to contrast with all the red.

Looks really nice though, how about some wire frame shots?
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, nice! You definitely NAILED that style down. Well done!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks pretty nice, i think you could highlight the edges of the scratches in the metal a little more, but its very very good as is. can you throw up some flats?
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    This is not bad for sure, but tbh my eyes just cannot rest when I look at him. And I'm afraid thats not a compliment. I can see his silhouette, but whats within this silhouette, appears to me as a total mess.

I'm not a character artist expert, and my english is somewhat limited, but if it makes any sense - I guess there has to be some sort of composition for character designs. I mean some parts are being more detailed than others. Color choices, effects, etc.

For example you've got glowing (I think) on some parts of his armor, but the armor itself brighter than glowing parts. That kinda kills whole idea with glowing runes.

edit:

although after some more looking, you've got my thumbs :thumbup: :thumbup: for his 'bat' style armor. I guess he is blood specced? =))
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Agree with linkov, he looks to busy and there's no instant recognition of shapes. It also looks like there could be more painted shadowing.

The handpaintedness looks good though, but a bit more love could be given to the chair and floor.

Also, elbowface!
    elbowface.png
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    Once you have seen it you cannot onsee it!!! ARHG
    Model(s) look great - would love to see it rendered with some shadows :)
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great job dude! i love the design and colours. just feels like it's lacking some darker tones/AO
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov wrote: »
    my eyes just cannot rest when I look at him.

seconded

but, i guess the real high tier WoW armor gets pretty busy and hard to look at too.

t5warr.jpg
  • thedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some wireframes and texture flats.

371088_1276966781_large.jpg
    371088_1276966714_large.jpg
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Nice model. The armor design itself is pretty decent, but as some others also pointed out I do think it's a little too busy. The contrast in the details are all too strong evenly throughout the armor. I think it's an easy trap to fall into when making intricate armor because you naturally want to squeeze in all the detail you can, but for the good of the armor set as a whole, it might be a good idea to knock back some areas. Let the important parts stand out and leave the rest for support.
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, would help alot if you layered your details more. Otherwise its like reading 15 pages of text at the same time.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    mesh itself is quite good. textures.. well, you've wasted a lot of texture space really.

you could easily put all your armor pieces onto one 512*512 and skin parts on 256*256. base, while it doesn't really matter, also could be optimized. I'm not sure about throne, but you can texture only a quarter of the base and then mirror it few times.

you can also overlap fur bits on the axe texture, but tbh I just don't like its overall design, doesn't look that epic and/or menacing.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Really nice job! it is a little on the busy side imo, but really well done regardless. The main issue that I see, that others have touched on is the lack of larger shadows. I see all the small shadows describing detail, but the major forms are lost without these larger shadows. So you either need to have them painted in there, or rendered or both (probably the best solution is both). I would say form and function is more important than detailing anyways, so I think its really important you nail this. I realize wow doesn't use very drastic AO, but they do use it subtly for sure. It won't take much to do this, so def. give it a try.