Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Service station

I'm starting a new environment. 50s style service station.

Here's the highpoly of the gas pump I'm working on. Wanted to get some crits before I broke they symmetry (which is when i add they pump handle...in case you were wondering why it didn't have one). There's still a few small details that I'm gonna add...like an emblem of some sort that a lot of these things have.

Anyway..Here it is

GasPumpHI_render01_edit.jpg

Replies

• se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    while I'm at it I might as well throw this up here too. It's around 750 polys which is high but it's because the rim and the tire are separate so i can use each individually if i want to...which i do.

wheel_render01.jpg
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I like the shape of the gas pump - is it your own design, or are you working from reference? Looks very art deco, looking forward to seeing it textured. Are you going for a true Fifties setting, or how such objects would look now? Personally, I'd find it more interesting to make this a period piece, as opposed to yet another dilapidated gas station.

I'd add some more geometry to the tire, though - depending on how it'll be used in the scene, I'd say it'd be worth rounding out the shape a little more to make for a better silhouette.

Will be keeping an eye on how this shapes up!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    I like the gas pump as well.. only it looks like its being rendered in orthographic..
    the texture on the tire seems like a decent base.. try and give a bit more randomness to the dirt n clutter built up on the tire, put grunge n that where its would naturally build up. keep it goin. :D
  • an aggressive napkin
    Its looks good, some of the shapes on the gas pump are just placed there (If your baking normals from a highpoly) You should make those have nice bevels instead of just making it another geometry where you could have them connected. Just a thought
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol @ Gewd Beer.

Nice start on the assets, but a blockout of the scene would be cool to see too. For the tire, you can definitely add some geometry to round it out a bit. You could possibly get away with using an alpha for the inside of the rim, since its so thin already anyways.
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan - I'm using a series of references for the pump. I was gonna go for an old rusted out look, not necessarily dilapidated but now that you mention it the idea of all the high speculars i'd get to use on a period piece is pretty appealing.

As far as they geo on the tire goes, I'll add more if i need to but right now I don't see it as being too important. That and I don't really know a good way to do it without just sticking a turbo on there

Oniram - Agreed :)

an aggressive napkin - i know exactly what you are talking about and most of them are part of the mesh with smoothing groups applied, (excluding the smaller detail pieces). I had beveled the edges on them and didn't really like the result. If i do have a problem with my normals then i will go back and bevel em
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's the references I used on the pump.

(edit)
    I'm trying to decide on a color scheme as i really don't like any of the ones below. I'm thinking about teal and something...maybe red

01.jpg
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally have an update to this...unfortunately not a big one..work keeps me busy (and sleepy)...just got some base textures on last night..should have this done by Monday...i hope..the centaur is a place holder...don't know what i'm gonna name the gas station yet...there's gonnna be another logo on the big empty spot on the bottom half of the pump too

GasPumpBaseTextures.jpg
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update. dust and dirt coming tomorrow. gotta get the handle in there too.
    GasPumpBaseTextures2.jpg
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuel pump. I'll be working on a block-out of the scene next.

GasPumpTextured.jpg
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update..The two main buildings that are going to be in the scene. Those textures are just place holders just put them in there to see some color

stationBlandish.jpg