Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Train Interior

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome. Looks like Fallout now -_-

Dude, clean it up, like, alot. To much grime, to much noice.

Also, notice how after you put those textures on, all that little detail you did in the modeling, is completely gone. You modeled a lot of little bits that were unesasary. All of those details could have been baked in (nuts, bolts, small bevels ext..) rather then modeled out. If it doesnt break the silhouet, bake it in.

Anywho, get crackin!
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Less grits (mmmmm....griiitttts) and also less of the really bright white spots throughout the whole piece please. Looking promosing for sure though
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    whats_true wrote: »
    Also, notice how after you put those textures on, all that little detail you did in the modeling, is completely gone. You modeled a lot of little bits that were unesasary. All of those details could have been baked in (nuts, bolts, small bevels ext..) rather then modeled out. If it doesnt break the silhouet, bake it in.

I think whats_true is completely correct. Modeling can be a lot of fun and rendering out high-poly meshes can look great, but if everything which is done during the stage of high poly modeling is to bake out a texture map, Texturing should be just as if not more important than modeling.
    I haven't exactly been following this thread but had a look through it and you've got some really solid work but I think the last images you posted really need to be reworked. As said above, definitely tone down the grime, it's looking slightly Matrix-esque but very over done.
    Maybe you have seen this but taking a look at this may help n some of the textures.
    Keep it up, I think what you have is really coming along and could end up looking fantastic.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Well I have to agree with everything that was said recently. Im really not digging the direction you took with the texturing. You have some solid modeling skills and I love the design. When I first look at the latest pics I see too much going on and its very unreadable. I want to see you do justice to this piece because it has potential, good luck.
  • ThornedVenom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThornedVenom polycounter lvl 8
    Haha, wow. That's a lot of response within a short period of time, but I am receptive to your complaints: this means that you guys really care about this piece of work and I am thankful for that. I have been told before that texturing was my weakest skill for a 3D artist despite how crucial it is, so I am willing to accept anything you can throw my way in an effort to become a better artist. :)

Anyways, I've worked as fast as I could to reduce the amount of overall "Fallout" grit from my environment (fun note: I was on a Fallout3 mod team once and I was constantly told to add more grunge. :shifty:) I've decided to do it through a bit of colored paint since people have pointed out earlier on that the pieces needed more unique detail: green was used as the base color but orange was picked for visual highlights. I hope this works better.

1-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    3.jpg
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    That is a lot better, but I think that you still need to break up the materials more. Everything still looks the same. Esp the pipes in the ceiling.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    right now metal doesnt read as metal , more like concrete, and thats what is also killin it , take a look at references, and how would pipes react , metal panel walls, to that type of environment, how many years its been since been unused etc.
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really nice but like the others say some textures is hard to read and takes away from the details.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    I haven't had time to read the thread, and yeah it's a short thread, but I think you'd benefit from lightening up some areas to make them stand out more. If you could push the contrast in terms of color and lightness in order to better separate elements of the environment I think it would be much easier on the eyes and easier to read.
  • VidGameDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easing up on the detail of textures pretty much sums up what people are buggin about.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    holy random metal scratching batman
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Your loosing a lot of texture resolution in some of those props. What do your wires look like for some of these?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The pipes, walls, trim, and floor shouldn't look they they are the same material and color.

It looks a lot better now that they seats stand out, but there's still lots of detail getting lost.
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    looks cool, has an interesting feel to it..
    although at first I expected a much more clean look to this thing..
    Try and get rid of more noise though I'd say, like the rest here :)

Good work though! :D
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice improvement. To go along with everybody else, I'd agree its too noisy yet. I really dig the colors/lighting now. The orange glow near the door does a good job of directing you to it..so it makes sense that that would be the direction I should head if I'm running through here.

About the noise:

One thing that you really have to do to sell your textures is have the wear/tear where it makes sense. You can tell when somebody just throws grime/scratches/lumps/etc...compared to actually thinking about how/why the grime is there.

Even if this place is really old an worn, things like the pipes wouldn't have all that lumpiness to them. Why? Because they are on the ceiling, people don't kick them, don't knock objects into them, etc.... at least not NEARLY as often as they would on the floor, or the metal trim under the seats. If anything, those pipes would show signs of oxidation, since fluids probably sat in them. Maybe even rust holes.

Your metal is universally too bumpy. Most notably, on your pillars. They are primarily worn on the corners..which is smart thinking, since corners always get banged up more. However, on the sides of the pillars, theres a lot of bump, which should probably be a lot flatter/smoother..On a plus note, the rusty looking splotches on the "cross slats" looks nice.

Over all this is improving a lot..your making a lot of solid progress, and you really did a good job of taking the concept and running with it to make something that is a little more unique.

Oh...do something about the white windows...get a skybox outside or something :).

Keep it up!
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    that is looking sweet - and i agree with the above - the only thing thats letting it down is the white windows - i realise that its not at all the priority but it would look better with something out there
  • Jonathan Marshall
    I'm digging the more gritty look. I know it detracts from the polygons, but if it looks cool do we really care?
  • ThornedVenom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, back from the grave again. Sorry for taking so long between posts, life has been compelling me for my attention again. To very quickly sum things up, I've recently graduated from the Art Institute so I had to jump through a bunch of hoops such as updating my website ( www.nguyenantim.com ), preparing for my portfolio show, re-render my shots in 300 dpi for print, etc... the irony though was that only one guy from the game industry actually showed up in person. :shifty: But I admit that I took a week off just so that I could catch up with a regular sleep schedule again: I am now sleeping every night instead once every two days. I also finally played and finished Mass Effect (the first one) since it was sitting on my desk for over a year (promised myself that I would finally play it once I had graduated.)

But I now I need some action! :poly142: Feeling unproductive is lousy, so I've been talking to a lot of industry people lately for potential leads and whatnot. Some have wanted me to add some polishing touches on this scene and some have wanted me to keep working on new stuff while I'm job hunting... so here I am again. :)

@whats_true: I've posted my Max wireframe in a previous post, but I do have some per-asset wire renders for you.

SciFiHPWire3_full.jpg
    SciFiHPWire4_full.jpg
    SciFiHPWire5_full.jpg
    SciFiHPWire7_full.jpg
    SciFiHPWire9_full.jpg
    SciFiHPWire10_full.jpg
    SciFiHPWire12_full.jpg
    SciFiHPWire16_full.jpg

I'm also using 1024x1024 resolution textures on my assets: some people have commented that I should try rendering with 2048x2048 instead since I should be trying to display my artwork in "full quality", but it seemed like an overkill idea when I first started out this project. I'm also fairly sure that for consoles the standard texture size is less, so I didn't really want to drift too far away into unrealistic benchmarks. :\

@Everyone: I really appreciate all of the feedback that you've been sending my way. I read every single one of them and each time I create a to-do fix list based on how apparent and distracting a problem is. I'm still humbled by how much interest this project had sparked and by how it kept people's attention for this long. Sadly enough, there are only so many fixes that I can do now because I feel that I have dedicated a little bit too much time on this piece. It was a necessary learning experience for me and I am still extremely grateful for all of the great advice that I have received from it. But I must also learn to move onto new projects which need to be done as well, hopefully carrying over lessons learned from past mistakes and continuously experimenting with refreshing new techniques and ideas. :)

I hope you enjoy these renders. Always feel free to criticize my work, someday I might revisit this scene. Who knows? Also feel free to ask questions, I'll do my best to answer back a tad more frequently. I will most likely be starting a new environment soon once I've gathered enough reference for what I have in mind (meaning a fresh new thread and a new start.) :poly121:

Render1-1.jpg
    Render2-1.jpg

(A few more images after this post, since I can only display 16 images per post.)
  • ThornedVenom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's the rest.

Render3.jpg
    Render4.jpg

I will upload a video as soon as possible so that you guys could see what it looks like in real-time. The emissives are flickering and the particles are in motion. A very different experience.
  • ThornedVenom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VIDEO: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOFwxy91ZHE[/ame] (It's still encoding. Should become higher quality over time.)
  • Jonathan Marshall
    It's starting to remind me of the train in FF7.

That is a huge compliment BTW.

(Prepare for scan *strobe light*)

Something about the crazy amount of tubes on the top seems a bit odd. If I built a train with hundreds of important tubes on the ceiling I'd at least put a mesh sheet inbetween it and the passengers so they couldn't mess with them. Or hide it altogether.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    To me it's still very busy, I cant rest my eyes anywhere in your train, the art is great but too much noise is too much.