Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Commander Bahm

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
This is a big ol' scary demon serpent lord I painted up. Just showing some of the in-process sketches as well as the line work and colors.

I don't consider it done. I consider it to be at a "good for now" state where I'm looking for ideas to address.

Have about 3 hours invested in the paint work thus far. Critiques / suggestions wanted!

commanderBahm_colorWeb.jpg

commanderBahm_sketches.jpg

Replies

• GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Absolutely love the design.

The only thing I would change is to make the facial features a bit more distinct. It's a little hard to read his expression (or his face at all), at least in the top piece.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    While I love how it looks, one thing really bothers me. The head is supposed to be the most dangerous/attacking part, yeah? But it seems to me that the green glowing sack is very vulnerable. Would this be it's regular state or a special state?

Like... pretend in a boss fight, it's usually much more protected, but occasionally it bloats up to mix some substance with air to create a deadly gas attack. This would be the vulnerable "shoot it noooow!" part.

Also, is it supposed to have horns or is that his lower jaw? It would be a weird jaw but work just fine for horns.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I just wrote up a huge response to both of you, but it gave me an error message saying my message was "too short by 1 character." Meaning one space or something.

LAME!

To sum up what I said, both of your points are great, and for your question, Snader, its his jaw. Imagine there is a split in the middle of his lower jaw that allows the upper jaw to fit into it.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    In cases of long posts, after I've written say 150 words, I usually to open up Notepad and continue writing there, in case stuff goes wrong. Also often (while typing) ctrl-a ctrl-c to clipboard. Also also, opera tends to be good with remembering stuff, so if I get an error from the board, I press backspace and try again (after copying the text for safety).
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, I just open word and type there when I know I'm going to do a long response. Anyways, I love the colors and the design is really awesome as well. Has some really cool style to it. Looking forward to seeing more!