Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mossberg 590

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
mike670 polycounter lvl 11
Hello there polycount!

Here is a Mossberg 590 I have created and I hoped you guys and gals could give me some feedback on it.

Specs:
originally painted at 4096 then scaled down to 2048
with a diffuse,spec, and normal map rendered in Marmoset.

the polygon count is sitting at 897

thanks a lot to racer445 for his great tutorials and 8monkey Labs for the excellent tool:thumbup:

Highpoly
side_render.jpg

Realtime #1
side_realtime.jpg

Realtime #2
other_side_realtime.jpg

Replies

• mike670
    Offline / Send Message
    bump, this got burred fast because it was my first post
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    High and Low poly look good. Your diffuse needs a lot more detail, far too bland right now. Post some wires too.
  • mike670
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback brandoom, I changed the diffuse a bit and switched to trilight

trilight_side1.jpg

trilight_side2.jpg

and here are some wires
    wires.jpg
  • AsaNYC
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    Looks excellent. Subtle and natural. Keep it up.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Doesnt this gun normally have a bead sight? Also, I think you are missing some details on the cap at the front of the shell tube, i think its supposed to have a grip texture of some kind.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Looks nice as-is, but I think it could be optimized a bit:
    paintover_polyreduce_mike670_mossberg590.png

Not sure if it's worth to rebake at this point though, probably not really enticing.
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    If this is a first person weapon model you're going to want to have a lot more polygons at the top back of the receiver which will be right in the player's face.
  • Godemper0r
    Being below 1000, I don't think you should really optimize it (although I do agree that they are wasted), but I would spend more tris to make it look better in first person (which I think you should take a screen shot of :P )

I'm a bit perplexed about the texture size though, as I've seen most weapons models on here using 2048s. That seems excessive. I've never seen any weapon over a 1024 in a game. Unreal 3 uses 1024s, and Crysis I'm pretty sure only uses 512s. (I could be wrong about the latter) It just seems like no one seems to care about it here, but I've seen art directors straight up laugh at an asset with a 2048 (it was on this site).

EDIT: I was wrong, I had to check my Crysis pack files :P Crysis uses a 512 for the shotgun, a 1024 for the smg and a 2048x1024 for the SCAR. However, a 2048x1024 is still only half of what you used for a simply designed weapon. I think a 1024 will work fine for you.
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, 2048 is totally insane for something like this. 1024 should be your absolute maximum, and a 512 should be fine.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Good work on the old Mossy. It's a lot harder to do a weapon model without scraping it up to hell and back, forces you to be a lot cleaner about everything, and you've done well here.

My only suggestion give how nicely you've put together this model would be, if one were so inclinded, to build a heat shield for it (a little extra work) and call it the 590A1 (military model--very similar to commercial model but a lot of all-metal parts in place of plastic, for trigger guard etc). Heatshield, maybe even a side saddle shell holder, not a bad idea for a portfolio piece where you can show variations of the model.

Really I just love how cool the heat shield looks on the 590A1.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/50660.jpg

Sharp stuff mate, hope to see you stick around for a while yet.
  • Gerasimimumu
    It is a great model indeed, but considering how little detail there is in the model, I would recommend to scale the textures down to 1024 and see how it looks. If it was more banged up, I see the reason for a 2048 textures, but as it stands right now, it would do just as fine at half rez.

Gera
  • mike670
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the great feedback guys!
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    Doesnt this gun normally have a bead sight? Also, I think you are missing some details on the cap at the front of the shell tube, i think its supposed to have a grip texture of some kind.

ah yes, my ref pic had this weird sight on it, but the bead sight looks way better, i also forgot to add that grip too.

about the size, I lowered it down to 512 diffuse and 1024 spec and normal with good results but, I'm gonna redo some parts on the high poly including the grip tex and put in that heat shield(makes it look b.a.)

then I'm gonna fix up the lowpoly to fix the wasted polys and give more for the fps view.

here it is with the lowered tex sizes

512_diffuse_moss.jpg

Ill post a fps view when i get done with the new version(looks kinda bad now)

*edit

update
    do you think i should model the holes in or just have that in the texture?

render_new.jpg
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Looking badass indeed :)

I think that given their depth and the fact that you can't see through the holes to the other side on any part of the model, leave it to the normal map.

Nice work, keep it up.
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    It is a great model indeed, but considering how little detail there is in the model, I would recommend to scale the textures down to 1024 and see how it looks. If it was more banged up, I see the reason for a 2048 textures, but as it stands right now, it would do just as fine at half rez.

Gera

If you look closer at your reference, the heat shield holes sort of spiral on their way back to front - the ones in front are lower than the ones in back. Might be hard to model, though.
  • mike670
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!
    Kitteh wrote: »
    If you look closer at your reference, the heat shield holes sort of spiral on their way back to front - the ones in front are lower than the ones in back. Might be hard to model, though.

hmm, didn't notice that, though and i don't think its that big of an issue most people wouldnt notice it(and i wouldnt know how to:poly122:) maybe using a twist modifier?
  • mike670
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, after some baking issues here is the final!
    all 1024 maps

heat_shield_side.jpg

different lighting...(couldn't decide between)
    nother.jpg

not sure what the right position and angle is...
    fps.jpg

Wires!

wires_final.jpg