Home Technical Talk

Cannot Weld (Max2010)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
This -might- be a beginners mistake. I but I have never seen anything like this. I had 2 halves of a pipe. Did Symmetry on them, and selected and erased the outer edge, after welding.

The inner edge however will NOT weld. I have selected it, looped, changed from Edges to Verts, cranked up the weld tolerance... nothing... target weld... nothing. This is so weird.

Sure I could remake this thing, but I want to know what I have done wrong so I can learn from my mistakes.

Here is the file if you want to prove my sanity:
http://www.AndrewChason.com/Files/FedUp.max

Replies

• Piflik
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Can't open a Max2010 file, but I'll take a wild guess here...delete the polygons at the symmetry plane...edit Poly doesn't allow for Non-Manifold Geometry...
  • Incomitatum
    Offline / Send Message
    Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
    "Non-Manifold Geometry..." Wha?

Gonna Google that now, but I've never heard of it. I also went back to make sure my normals weren't wonky. Naw, they are fine.

I have never had this problem using a Symmetry, then Edit Poly: Collapsed.
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I looked at the file. I have no idea how you did it, but you have a giant duplicate polygon group that was basically generated in the center-most ring, just underneath the one you would expect to see. To see it (and fix this mesh), go into Border mode and drag select around the very center inner-most area. You will select a border that shouldn't be there.

Delete it.

Then select all of your verts and re-weld with a super small threshold setting to fix the verts. That should fix the object.

Not sure what you meant by "selected and erased the outer edge after welding". Symmetry is used to eliminate the need for welding or cleanup after applying.
  • Mark Dygert
    Yep looks like the inner ring has a ring of polys that's duplicated, flipped and welded in the center.

You could delete the inner rings, and use bridge to close the gap.