Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Reventon (WIP)

Hello, I am new member of Polycount forums but I have been looking at everyone's work here for the past few months. Now its my turn to get criticized lol.
Alright well here is the work in progress shots of the Reventon my first car model.
4692056085_b9ea2f2b19_b.jpg4692056173_9917c2dbb3_b.jpg

Replies

• Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    That hood is craaaaaazy high poly... doesn't need to be like that.

Also, block out the entire car low poly first, so you nail all the proportions correctly. Nothing worse than trying to manipulate lots of polys for it later on.

Welcome to polycount! If you can handle critques (and lots of em), and actually take onboard everything said, you will definitely go far. You have the potential!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    @Electro

I agree with boxing out the whole car first. However, he simply has a turbosmooth/meshsmooth modifier on it. Notice the isoline display. He's not actually modelling each vertex of the high poly. While it is high poly, that's sort of the point. Turbosmooth is great for renders. Although maybe tone down that turbosmooth by an iteration or 2.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    It's also great for exploding renders .. that hood definitely doesn't need a 4 iteration turbo smooth on it... when the whole car gets built its gonna chug like stop motion
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Not wanting to blow my own horn ;) but I spent MONTHS on this sucker in my spare time, a while back. If your interested I have my renders and wires here : http://bigern.cgsociety.org/gallery/779973/ :) Best of luck!
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Craazzy inaccurate. IT helps to look at a picture of what you're modeling before/while you model it. Use blueprints as well.

Reventon.jpg
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Prophecies: I'm well aware of what isoline display is. I still stand by what I say, in that he shouldn't be adding control edges for smoothing at this stage, and should rather focus on getting it all blocked out first as if it were a low poly model whilst keeping it all in quads so it can progress into the high poly mesh.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sheesh everybodys so harsh :P

But I agree with what everybody is saying, the hood has a lot of smoothing going on. You should focus on setting up everything to be ready for smoothing (like adding an extra loop or 2 where there are creases) but it still seems like you may be using extra geometry. A wire of your car before smoothing would be useful for us to see.

It does look a little off of the reference. Are you using any kind of blueprints or just going by eye? For things like this, finding orthographic images will really help make sure the shape of everything stays in check.
  • agents107
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the slow progress, I have been really busy with school and ESW. I just graduated yay! Anyways I started all over again this time using blueprints.
    4720245898_e16aac3415_b.jpg4720245904_79ba7908c1_b.jpg
    Thanks for all the comments and recommendations
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    seems like your control mesh is a bit too dense. you may want to look into simplifying that a bit for until you get hardcore in the details.

Also, it would be a good idea to block out things 1st.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ahhh i'm working on this beast right now as well. Some tricky shapes in there that are rough to make out with the blueprints but it's a nice modeling challenge for sure
  • agents107
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya some crazy shapes in there. i did the side front panel like 5 times then in the end I used nurbs surface worked well. 4756583928_a638ab9b24_b.jpg4756583948_c4491a1171_b.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I modeled this car last year I think. Nice choice, it has lots of interesting shapes. I'd go for a complete low poly before adding support loops etc. though. Just in case you need to modify things once you get a complete look/feel of the car in Max.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    nice progress!
  • agents107