Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio - Tim Chappell - 3D Artist

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
MonsterMan polycounter lvl 9
Hello All! :)

I am hoping to get some feedback on my portfolio. I am currently working in the game industry and am trying to migrate over to the art side of the field. (Though it doesn't have to be just game art.) I am working on developing a portfolio to obtain a position creating 3D art and would like to get any feedback on the direction I'm heading. Any opinions on the site itself or the artwork is appreciated. (The web site was a free template, and I'm not a web designer. :poly122:)

Thank You!

http://chappell.mosaicglobe.com/

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    MonsterMan, may I ask what it is specifically in 3d you're looking to focus on? 3d in general or specialize in environments etc? It would definitely help narrow down the answers that way.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Some of your anatomy studies are really strong, especially the ones detailing muscle definition - however, as with all the images on your site, I'd have liked to have seen larger images. As they are right now, they're too small to see any sort of detail work, especially the bunk bed crazy bump image for example.

Your 3D work could use some polish. As Peter said, some indication as to what field you want to move into would really help. If you want to get into games, then some in-engine screenshots of completed assets would be ideal, maybe a small environment or two - something that shows that you understand the current-gen workflow and shaders etc.

If you want to get into other areas of 3D (i.e. non-realtime), then I'd suggest working on your lighting and rendering - right now, your 3D stuff seems to be neither here nor there, and it's not immediately apparent what the purpose of each piece is in terms of demonstrating skills.

Hope this helps.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I know it's been said, but I'll say it again; the images are way too small :p

ALL the bedroom/spongebob/office images are pretty much useless, they don't show off any of your ability. These kind of things are exactly what most people do when they learn 3D for the first time.
    You shouldn't show the whole UI when making viewport grabs.

The scorpion and axe could potentially look ok, but those 3 textures for the axe clearly demonstrate a lack of knowledge or skill when it comes to unwrapping UVs. You could/should fit all that onto 1 sheet, and you should try to keep the texel density equal for each "part"

You also don't have to a web designer to be able to find a better site for making a portfolio of art. The template you've chosen doesn't give a good first impression (mainly because of that giant google ad on the left side).
    Heres 3 better ones which are free:
    http://carbonmade.com/
    http://portfolio.deviantart.com/
    http://wordpress.org/
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    GENERAL
    -Current projects ≠ most important folder
    -"Portfiolio" -> "Portfolio"
    -Get rid of advertisement
    -Resume can be direct link, doesn't need a special category.

DESIGN
    -Nice colours
    -Feels a bit plain
    -Orange text? -> make blue

IMAGES
    -Bigger thumbnails
    -Bigger 'full view' shots
    -Use better names ("Gg 3dmodelpic headgman" wut?)
    -Show breakdowns (model, texture, triangle counts etc)
    -Dont show max windows etc: crop nicely

WORK
    -Too much unfinished stuff, pick one and finish asap
    -Don't need 3 textures for the axe
    -Spongebob can be done 90% via textures (eyes and stuff)
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to comment on the anatomy and the Life drawing/Pencil and Ink portions of your portfolio.

Many of the anatomical musculature drawings in your anatomy section look really good, and then I see "Chappell W1-A4" and I see no indication of the anatomy understanding suggested in the previous drawings. The same goes for "Reaching", "Tyler", and all the 15min sketches. What that tells me is that you copied the drawings in an anatomy book, but don't really understand the landmarks indicating what's going on underneath the skin all that well. I would take out all of those drawings I mentioned.

The foot life drawing and "lifedrawing 031" are probably your best, but you have to try to memorize the shape and transition points of how bones and muscle affect the surface of the body. If you do that, you'll be able to accurately represent what the muscles are doing no mater what position the body is in, because you'll see little landmarks all over that can guide you.
  • MonsterMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MonsterMan polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry about the late reply. I was finishing up the child’s room for my final and between work, school and family I don’t get much time for anything else.

Pliang-
    I would like to get into high poly character modeling for entertainment purposes, but I have been sculpting for a long time and am happy creating anything in 3D.

Danshewan-
    Thank you for the comments. Hopefully I will get some environments in there soon.

Yozora-
    Thank you for the links. I updated my portfolio on mosaic globe, but will hopefully have something up on the other sites soon. I agree with the pictures being too small. I couldn’t figure out why Z-brush continued to make maps like that. I use the UV Master plug in and paint on the sems for the model but when I click create UVs it always only fills up only ½ of the texture/ normal maps. Any ideas?

Snader-
    Thank you for the feedback. I’m going to try one of the other sites listed by Yozora. Hopefully they will turn out much better and I can get some Dreamweaver tutorials done.

Barnstable-
    Thank you for the comments. Anatomy can be tricky. In the Tyler one, there wasn’t much in the ways of anatomy with muscles etc as Tyler still had a lot of baby fat. J My teachers always hassled me about having trouble picturing anatomy in 3D on the page while creating them. I could sculpt contest winning pieces, but the reference drawings I made for them were always a bit off.
  • an aggressive napkin
    You really need larger renders of everything, Can't see much on there :(