Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Base

Hey Everyone,

My friend made a character. I liked it so much I spent a couple hours designing a base for it. He liked the design. So here is where its at.

Just diffuse and some normal maps. Also just one omni light in the scene atm.

Any thoughts are much appriciated thanks!

cbase01.jpg

cbase02.jpg

www.davidsawchuk.com
David Sawchuk
3d Environment Artist

Replies

• Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is pretty neato - I love random techy stuff :) I think that you could make it a bit more interesting by adding different textures to the various hoses - like some braded metal, some rubber, some ribbed like a vaccum cleaner hose. Also, the red circle would make a dandy glowy-thing. Oh, and spec maps too, but Im sure you just havent got to that yet :)
  • Seere
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yah spec maps and glowy red circle on the way!! :p

I built the chords out of splines. Been wondering how to get texture and things like you mentioned, the ribbs and such. Any tips on doing something like that?
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assuming you used max its actually pretty easy... when you make the spline (or at the spline level of the modifier stack) check 'generate mapping coordinates', which will lay the splines UV's totaly flat for you no matter how crazy your spline gets. Then all you have to do is make a seamless normal/diff map set and apply it. By stretching the uv's you can control the size of the map on the spline, and it will follow the contour very nicely. You can also rotate the uv's 45 degrees to get a cool twist effect. WAY easier than baking from a HP. Hope this helps... I can make a mini-tutorial if it doesnt make sense.. Im about to fall asleep so my explination might be a bit fuzzy :P
  • Seere
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton ill give it a shot. If I cant get it to work ill PM you. Sounds pretty straight forward though.

Much appriciated.