Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mini environment: old damaged doorway high poly

snoops3d
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
Hello everyone

I am doing some high poly practice work, and I created this mini environment, I don't plan to texture it. Trying to focus on communicating different materials all through high poly details, concrete, stone, wood, metal etc. Comments or Crits welcome, though not sure when I will have time to implement changes. Thanks for taking a look!!

Replies

• SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    wow!

Thats really pretty stuff! Did you use Z-Brush?

A break down of how you did this stuff would be awesome!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah that is definitely Zbrush. Looking awesome man! I really don't have much to say, apart from the ends of the steps looking a bit too rounded. But then again, this may be what you were going for. Kickass sculpting work! Keep it up!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like successful practice. Looking forward to your application of what you learned here.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Crazy sause dude. The wood on the door is my Fav.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That looks amazing! Nice work!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    Thats really cool. I dig it alot! some really nice highpoly work for sure
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's really awesome and I'm a little depressed now :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The rebar in the sidewalk doesn't seem right. I'm not sure there's even supposed to be rebar in the slabs, and I'm pretty certain that the bars wouldn't go from one slab to another.

I also think the rebar looks weird on the doorway, doesn't fit with the oldschool doors.

The rest looks nice though, really like the plants, are those splines with hand placed leaves?
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great. Could we see your base meshes, just out of interest? :D
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you gunna make a low poly and bake this? I'd love to know how you would/will go about constructing the low poly for this. Looks great btw.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    This would make an awesome portfolio piece if you finished it.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    ffs! one of the coolest things I've seen in my life. how you do it people?..
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the kind words!!!

SaferDan: I can try to post a break down over the weekend, but there's nothing really special about my process, I just built proxy objects in max then exported into zbrush and worked in the details.

Prophecies: Good call man, those steps were more of an after thought as far as the final look goes, and I should have taken more time to consider their construction and final look

Snader: Rebar was for the door bit was more of an judgment call and there has been a few call outs on that. As far as the curb goes, the ref I did find for curb cement did show long lengths of rebar, and I did not find anything else to say otherwise.

PogoP: I can try to post some base mesh/proxy meshes from max but nothing special in that.

James9475: I might in the distant future but right now Im working on something else that will get baked and textured, or least probably.

Serp: Yeah your right, I just need to finish out some other things first, and then maybe.

Thanks again everyone for all the kind words
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    This looks really good, man! I really like that door and the vines. How did you do the grass?
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that would be awesome! Im just interested in how you used Z-Brush tbh im fairly new and would love to see how you got this from Z-Brush! Espically as i seem to be following the same workflow!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Defninitely need to change my pants now !

Would be great to see your process going through all this !
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    most impressive. thanks for sharing. :)
  • hadidjah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hadidjah polycounter lvl 8
    Gorgeous, can't wait to see this finished...

Rebar aside, the only thing throwing me off is the clean split down the middle of the door... They look very heavily reinforced. I think even just setting the interior half askew so it doesn't look glued to the other door could help a lot, but right now it's a little counterintuitive.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    snoops3d wrote: »
    Snader: Rebar was for the door bit was more of an judgment call and there has been a few call outs on that. As far as the curb goes, the ref I did find for curb cement did show long lengths of rebar, and I did not find anything else to say otherwise.
    The door arch could be explained by it being a modern building with a classical aesthetic or something, but the sidewalk feels really weird. Could you show me what your ref was, where you got it? I just spent a couple of minutes googling and came up with this:
    sidewalk.jpg
    Wich shows fairly thin slabs of concrete, cracked easily by tree roots etc. By my knowledge, sidewalks are composed of those slabs (say 5x5 feet and 3 inch thick) and curb stones (say 5x5x1 feet) placed like legos. As such, all 'legos' would be separate and definitely wouldn't have rebar going between pieces.

Also, if you're going with rebar in the door arch, you might want to put just a bit in the other 3 pillars too, not just the largest one.

Keep at it though, it looks really nice so far.
  • Daniel Doerksen
    as a steel reinforcement worker as my main profession, i can tell you most sidewalks dont generally have steel in them, and if they do its mesh, mesh is is a grid of steel premade, with a small diamter of about 3-5mm and a spacing of around 5-7iinches and rarely thicker then 5inchs.

that aside beautiful work man
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used 3dmax 2010 and zbrush

SaferDan

Instead of walking you through my process I thought it better to send you two links that illustrate what I did in a much more thorough fashion, sorry man my wife and son are getting ready to leave town and I need spend as much time with them as possible. I used this core process for everything I did.

1st link
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=924231

Thanks to Kevin Johnstone for taking the time to put this together

2nd link

http://www.brameulaers.com/tutorials/generic_wall_tutorial/generic_wall_tutorial.html

Thanks to “Bram Peris” Eulaers for taking the time to put this together.

And in general check out Poly Counts amazingly cool wiki on hard surface sculpting
    http://wiki.polycount.com/Digital%20Sculpting

Pogo
    Sorry, I know I said I would post base mesh images, but I don’t have the time right now. My process is almost identical to the first two links in my response to saferdan, I hope that’s helpful if not I will post some shots later down the line, but its going to be awhile…sorry again.

For the leaves I only used single sided polys, I then exported to Zbrush and just upped their division level once or twice to smooth them out.
    For the grass it’s the same principle as the leaves, single sided poly maybe 4 polys total per blade of grass just enough to give a tiny amount of variety.

For spreading plants/grass
    I went to the create panel, selected compound objects, selected scatter, picked the surface to use as the "Distribution Object". After that I went to the “Source Object Parameters” started tweaking those and the “transforms” parameters until I was happy with what I had.
    One thing to note for this
    I did not want to spread grass/plants randomly everywhere, just wanted it to fill certain spots, so to do this I duplicated my mesh and deleted sections where I did not want grass/plants. After that I meshed smoothed remaining areas to increase the vert count hoping that this would give me a more random placement of the grass or plant object, because I believe scatter uses the verts to determine where things are placed(though I think you can change that). After the grass/plants were placed I would delete the temporary sections that I created and smoothed for grass/plant placement.

Snader & Daniel doerksen
    Thank you for pointing that out about the sidewalks I stand corrected and will make note of the in the future. I think I just got schooled on cement and metal work....Thanks guys! (this is why I post)
    Thanks again guys I do really appreciate it

And thanks to everyone for their comments, Im glad everyone’s digging it!
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries man, family has to come first :)

thanks for the links!
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    Good stuff duder!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
  • conte
    Options