Home General Discussion

Portfolio pieces, is this acceptable?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey,
So I'm about to start a new environment for my portfolio, and I had a few questions regarding this. When you are making a portfolio piece, is it acceptable to use someone elses concept art (Warhammer Online Concept art for example) to make something in 3D? I've seen it done before, but I've never been quite sure how to approach this.

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    so long as the concept is clearly attributed to the author.
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    also, try to get in touch with the artist and have their blessings before proceeding with the project or before putting it in your portfolio. it is one thing to list them as the source of the concept, but something entirely different to take them time to get in touch with them.

typically if i come across something i feel really inspires me to create in 3d, i may get started just a little bit; enough to peak the interest of the concept artist, and then send that to them along with an e-mail of who you are, what you are doing, etc.

if they don't give me the go ahead to put it in my folio, then i don't do it. just common courtesy in my opinion. i don't want to tag someone's name to something they too can't take a little pride in.

it is also another form of networking. i've made some great acquaintances by doing this and people i would feel comfortable turning to for questions, advice, or general playful banter.
  • Tom Ellis
    Funny, I was just re-listening to the GIM Podcast that covers environments today, and they talked about this.

I'm sure you've probably checked it out already but worth a listen to hear them talk about what you've said.

One thing that was mentioned on there is that a concept artist can usually produce far better concept art than a typical environment artist so why not just save the attempt at creating something substandard to what's available and go with a ready made concept done by one of the pro's. Of course they back this up by saying it is equally important that you can concept out your own stuff if ever necessary.

And yeah, the advice already given by Firebert and R_Fletch_R was echoed in the podcast too, always credit the original artist.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    A few years ago* when we were ramping up on Warhammer, Mythic was scooping up about anybody that posted warhammer game art based on their concepts. I was regularly encouraging people to do this as it's since such a clear message to the company responsible for the concept work.

*Offer expired. ;)