Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stone Titan

My most recent work, I don't have much time to alter things but crits are always welcome. Done for college assignment, approx 1 month.

Concepted by a fellow student.

4500 triangles
1024 DSN

titanx.jpg

titan2.jpg

Replies

• StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    thats nice. I got 2 main crits:
    - the silhouette is kinda boring. Doesnt read giant or as anything special.
    - the base is very busy textured and is fighting for attention with the main piece

Cheers. Stefan
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Not bad at all, but I think the symmetry is killing it. It could be more interesting with some asymmetry in it.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    i really like the arms!

i think its just the lack of shape in the torso and legs it what makes it a tiny bit boring! i am loving the textures though they look really nice!

and yeah its been said but the base is far too distracting!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, the base is grabbing my eye too much.
    Thats said the Rock/Metal is very nicely defined in the geometry. I'd do more in the diffuse/spec to define the shackles/belts as a diffent material.

There should be a pidgeon doing a poop on his shoulder :) Reminds me of shale from dragon age
    shale1.jpg
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The belt etc is rock/stone it's just more refined than the titan.

I'll remove the base for presentation in the folio.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    It wouldnt hurt to make it a different medium, it might add some contrast(the belt/wrists)
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea, I know originality and design is something I definately need to work on.
    I'm working on something else atm which I hope will help in that way, I'll post it up in a few days.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Also if it is indeed a titan you could probably shrink the head a bit-- changing that proportion is one of the easiest ways to indicate scale.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    hey there, a quick crit I gots is that the stone appears too shiny and in general the material is too noisy ie. theres all these small tiny specs all over the entire model as opposed to you being selective to where you place and concentrate small bumpy detail
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I'm gonna have another shot at texturing this.
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    yeh looking good,
    As stated before it's a bit boring.
    Add a bit more color/shape variation, emphasize the focus point..
    Also the mirroring bothers me allot.
    If you mirror textures try to only mirror areas that are never/barely seen together at the same time..

the untextured version works better atm imo because the texture/flatness of the decorations give it a nice interesting spark.
    In the textured version it starts to blend and look muddy a bit..
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey sam, good stuff! I would personally like to see less symmetry in the sculpt, theres something about stone that feels like it should be more ittegular in its construction y'know.

perhaps adding a wooden watchtower on his shoulder or some other indicator of human scale could be cool?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Looking pretty good. I like it a lot.

You may want to look at his height as measured in heads. He looks like ~7 heads tall right now, but I think you could push that further. Especially him being a titan. 7 heads is kinda tall, but still within the realm of regular humans.

Also, maybe just adding like "small" trees on his shoulders would help. I mean, small as in pixels, but as far as proportions they're the size of real trees. So it puts his size in perspective. If he has a 20 foot tree on his shoulder, then he must be 300feet tall or something.

Good stuff man