Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Rifle W.I.P

hi guys this is my first attempt to make a Sci-Fi Rifle, this is my reference image it is a quick sketch so let me know what you think detail is yet to be added and any ideas would come in handy thanks :D

scan0001ve.jpg
C & C please.

Replies

• dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    is that the magazine sticking out the bottom there? if so i think it needs to be moved maybe thicken up one of the handles and have it coming out of there like a handgun
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a cool idea, and a good start. How is the weapon held? I dont really see a good spot to rest the non trigger hand....if its meant to be held in the opening near the barrel, that looks too small...at least compared to the trigger. Also, going along with dansher the clip isnt in a great place...when the weapon is being used and the butt is up against the shoulder, it wouldnt be possible to reload. Just seems like it would be akward. Instead of moving it to a more ergonomic spot, I'd say do something more interesting with it, its the one thing on the gun that doesnt scream sci-fi to me. Maybe dont have a clip.

Also, I think you could do something more interesting with the but, maybe add a contour so it fits better on the shoulder, instead of being flat.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    ...from a mechanical and small-arms design theory standpoint, this looks great. This is a functioning, logically-composed, practical and usable bullpup. The mag you're depicting looks like a pistol-caliber stick mag, which is a nice variation on the usual FPS suspects.

I would only suggest a couple small things:

- decide if this is going to feature an ejection or chamber observation port of some kind, and add one if it does. It doesn't have to have one if it's an energy weapon of some kind (or if it's using a bottom or front ejection system like the P90, F2000 or Keltec RFB), but even a caseless weapon that doesn't eject anything will probably still have a way to physically observe the chamber when handling the weapon (to verify it's loaded or unloaded, and to clear dud rounds)

- maybe add a little chamfer or bevel to the corners of the large structural forms. This, however, is mostly an artistic suggestion. Right now they have very pointy corners, and if that's the look you want, keep it. I would hypothesize that non-functioning sharp edges and corners probably wouldn't be used, partly for manufacturing efficiency, and partly because they tend to catch and snag things when you're moving the gun around. But if you like the way it looks, they don't stop the design as a whole from working well.
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys i did a few more designs so you can see what is better

@gsokol: thanks fr the crit and its a 2 handed weapon, well i was planing on putting a kind of plasma tank at the bottom but the weapon was going to be to big i am aiming for something fast and easy to handle.
    @Garagebay9: thanks man i try and make my weapons understandable and that have sence the ejection chamber is that shape just above the Clip :D

here are some other designs
    tts1.jpg

tts3.jpg
    tts4.jpg
    tts2c.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    S2 is the best
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_R_Hopo polycounter lvl 14
    I like S3 the best. To me it looks more lightweight than S2, which I feel fits the look of the small magazine better. For a "big and bulky" look though, I think S4 would work better.
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys here is a quick update

tts2.jpg
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Looking pretty good. I like it.

The only thing I'm not sure of, is exactly how would someone hold it. It seems a little odd. But no biggie.

Also, some of the edges are way hard. Should bevel them just a bit.